MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: To MyBB Support Team
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It was a good idea to creat and stick a thead like Backing up and Restoring Databases but may I suggest that this idea should have been further developed. Fristly that it should haven't been locked so that futher questions/answers could have been carried out therein. This would stop cluttering the rest of the forum with threads of similar topic and in fact provide a greater knowlede-base for the current community and for future users.

Secondly, a Conversion & Backup/Restore Experience thread may also be operated so that users could benefit from each other's experience and some common problems could be highlighted and solutions to them could be suggested in a single thread. It will again server as a greater knowledge-base for the community.

I am saying all this because despite marcgo15's helpful guide, I still need a few questions to ask and a few problems to repot. But as the thread is locked, I will have to open up new thread that will be answered but eventually recede into the sea of threads.

Anyway, my problem is that when I go to back up my sql data, only a few tables, say 5, are imported and nothing else. Please tell should there be no table at all in the mybb database if I am to import an sql backup? Sometime I also get the error message that "adminlog already exists." I am allowed to use phpmyadmin to import a file upto 50 mb while my data weights 42mb. Thanx in advance guys Smile
The reason why we (or him) kept that thread locked was so that, only the real useful information can be seen by others. If we let it open and all others ask the question there, then it would just be cluttered up with many posts. It doesn't matter if the forum has these topics about the same thing over and over again...that's what this forum is for.
Anytime I make a thread and stick the thread, I lock it since it's not ment to have questions asked in. Just like Cory said, I (or any other support member) don't want it getting pointless stuff added to it, it just makes it harder for people to find stuff. Posting a new thread isn't going to do harm. If I (or we) find someone has posted useful information, one of us will merge it with the sticky thread Smile.

Now to your problem, try backing it up as "gzip". After that try restoring it. As suggested in my thread, there is a program that will help you restore a database that is to big for phpmyadmin. http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php

If you don't have SSH and don't have any luck with phpmyadmin or BigDump, send a copy of the database to the Server Administrator and have them restore it for you.

The reason you are getting "adminlog already exists" is because that table managed to get restored right before you timed out.

Any PHP based restoring tool will timeout after a while. The only sure way of getting a database restored without problems is SSH/Shell.

Marc
marcgo15 Wrote:If you don't have SSH and don't have any luck with phpmyadmin or BigDump, send a copy of the database to the Server Administrator and have them restore it for you.

Well, I think this is a good idea to send the file to server admin for restoration - if he agrees to do so. In fact SSH access has been enabled upon my request but I still don't see anything on SSH page. Other than this, I thought that I would need further details to use SSH. Anyway, first I will try SSH, than bigdump and than send my file to the admin. Thanx for the response anyway Smile
My Server admin tried to dump the sql file and got this message:

Quote:root@gold [/home/chief/www]# mysql -chiefsaab_xxxxx -pxxxxxxxxx chiefsaab_xxxxxxxx <
chiefsaab_mybb_.sql
ERROR 1050 at line 19: Table 'mybb_adminlog' already exists
root@gold [/home/chief/www]#
-
You need to delete the "mybb_adminlog" table before trying to restore it.
I will try... i hope rest of the tabkes won't conflict. Please watch, I'll be back Smile
Actually, I believe if you're going to import your tables in the same database that way..you're going to have to delete all the tables first and then restore it with your backup copy (assuming you did backup all the tables)
marcgo15 had earlier suggested bigdump and I should have tried it before anything else. It worked like a majic and it took hardly 10 seconds to dump a 42-mb sql data without any prblem at all. Thanx a lot marcgo15 Smile

Cory you are right that all the tables in the database must be deleted in order for bigdump to work flawlessly. I think marcgo15 should include this condition in his guide in his sticky thread of backup and restoration. Thanx guys Smile
chiefsaab Wrote:marcgo15 had earlier suggested bigdump and I should have tried it before anything else. It worked like a majic and it took hardly 10 seconds to dump a 42-mb sql data without any prblem at all. Thanx a lot marcgo15 Smile

Cory you are right that all the tables in the database must be deleted in order for bigdump to work flawlessly. I think marcgo15 should include this condition in his guide in his sticky thread of backup and restoration. Thanx guys Smile

Your welcome, chiefsaab. That BigDump restore file works very well. Like I said in that backup/restore thread, I've restored a 2GB database using that before.

I'll add the part about all tables needing to be deleted before trying to restore a database.

Marc
You also could've just empied the mybb_adminlog table out as well and just added that code into the myPHPAdmin using the SQL query.