MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why I Chose MyBBoard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First, I just want to say this to mybb members... you guys are great! I have been conversing with your extended family over at mybbthemes and just love them!

1. I used forummatrix.org (a very handy tool) to compare forums and mybb stood tall with all of the paid forums, particularly vbulletin, the one I thought I would purchase. I decided to support the idea of free forums after reading many compassionate posts on their behalf. By the way, where can I make a financial contribution to mybb?

2. I read the boards on many of the forums and absolutely felt the greatest sense of community and loyalty on the mybb forums. The atmosphere really impressed me!

3. Community members work together to continuously improve the software with new ideas, plugins, and themes. One hundred heads are better than just a few working at the top. The paid forums can't compete with this kind of developmental brain power. The software executives listen to their junior community members and incorporate their ideas into new releases. This means that the software never goes stale, it is always on the drawing board.

4. The tutorials, Wiki help with the download, and the community outreach and support for new members (that may have no forum experience) were crucial considerations during the selection process. I am a total novice and did well just to get the software downloaded. I have been told by FirefoxWiz several times that, "If you need any help with any aspect of setting up the forum or customizing it, we're here to help you!!" Kudos to FirefoxWiz, one of mybb's greatest advocates and valuable members!

I am very excited about the release of the 1.4 version of mybb. It looks amazing. Congratulations to the software executives at mybb and their community members. You should receive an award for excellence!
Thanks for your nice comments.

You should be allowed to post it in the feedback forum. Moved. Smile

1: to donate to the MyBB project, please contact Chris Boulton.
Thanks for the thoughtful comments and Happy Valentines Day Smile
BossGirl, I'm with you! I didn't compare software like you did but I did do my homework, installed a whole mess of them, checked them out in a live tryout and extensively read their support boards and like you, I found Mybb tops above the lot!

I have a friend with Vb and I cannot stand the software. It's a cluster*#&% of confusion and I find it difficult to navigate and use.

I own two Wowbb licenses, one of which I am going to sell soon. I have two Mybb boards and a third on the way this spring.

Wowbb has to be the absolute worst in regard to customer support.

Mybb has made me feel at home, has not taken attitude with me when I ask a question and TikiTiki and Lex have gone above and beyond what is expected of them to help me out.

Once I have a chance I too will be donating to this project. You can't beat this place and the attitude here is a warm and friendly one. Can't beat that with a stick!

Thanks everyone who helped me in the past and will in the future!
[Image: border%20with%20cherubs.gif]
[Image: sparkling%20heart.gif]
Thanks for your kind words towards MyBB, but please also remember this is not the forum to say bad things about our competition. Smile
destroyer Wrote:Thanks for your nice comments.

You should be allowed to post it in the feedback forum. Moved. Smile

1: to donate to the MyBB project, please contact Chris Boulton.

Destroyer, thanks for moving the post. Yes I will contact Chris.

Tikitiki Wrote:Thanks for the thoughtful comments and Happy Valentines Day Smile

Thanks Tikitiki, and a belated Happy Valentines Day to you and everyone else as well.

Goggalor Wrote:BossGirl, I'm with you! I didn't compare software like you did but I did do my homework, installed a whole mess of them, checked them out in a live tryout and extensively read their support boards and like you, I found Mybb tops above the lot!

I have a friend with Vb and I cannot stand the software. It's a cluster*#&% of confusion and I find it difficult to navigate and use.

I own two Wowbb licenses, one of which I am going to sell soon. I have two Mybb boards and a third on the way this spring.

Wowbb has to be the absolute worst in regard to customer support.

Mybb has made me feel at home, has not taken attitude with me when I ask a question and TikiTiki and Lex have gone above and beyond what is expected of them to help me out.

Once I have a chance I too will be donating to this project. You can't beat this place and the attitude here is a warm and friendly one. Can't beat that with a stick!

Thanks everyone who helped me in the past and will in the future!
[Image: border%20with%20cherubs.gif]
[Image: sparkling%20heart.gif]

Hi Goggalor, yes, it always pays to do your homework. Oh my, two boards and another on the way... that should keep you busy.
DennisTT Wrote:Thanks for your kind words towards MyBB, but please also remember this is not the forum to say bad things about our competition. Smile

Ah don't take me wrong... I am not trashing the software, just the truthful tale of first hand experience with customer support. I stick up for the software on a regular basis to those I see trashing it. I like the software and have sent many people to it.

They are good at what they do there in support, it's just getting the support that is the problem.

I enjoy the software too. I find it easy to use, skin and manipulate to make my site MY site in looks and feel.

But I found a second love with Mybb and it's crew of support, staff, developers and all the good things that go on here.
I agree with all comments thus far in this thread.

When my site first opened, we used phpBB3 (a very bad mistake, I had used it heaps of times before so naturally I used it again) and started having heaps of issues- I also asked on the community forums, but of course, 2 weeks later I still had no help. The only response I got was one from a staff member, of which I had already answered and it is pretty obvious that a theme would not cause a mysql error.

So I eventually got it back online (without their help) and decided not to use them again. I considered going to SMF or paying for a vB license (I seriously considered using vB for a while) but one of the members suggested mybb. I had heard of mybb heaps of times before, and had done a few test forums of it. I installed it and was surprised at all the stuff I overlooked Smile

So I waited for a phpBB3 > SMF converter (as the phpBB3 > MyBB one wasn't available at the time) and converted from phpBB3 > SMF > phpBB2 > MyBB. (I had to go via SMF as the phpBB people don't like the sound of people downgrading- phpBB3 had been gold for a month anyway so I didn't see their issue) I have not once regretted the move, and the forums are now a lot easier to manage, I have like 15 plugins installed, and the forums easily integrate with the website I was making. (That type of thing is impossible with phpBBB because of their templating system).

I love MyBB Smile Can't wait for 1.4!