MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Webplanethost users please help me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
snake1131 Wrote:I like running my own server Toungue
If I could figure out how to get my server public, I would do that, too. I already have the DNS name and all that, but no one other than me can access it.
dial-up or broadband? Windows or Linux?
drygnfyre Wrote:Mo,

I assume you got my PM. Yes, unfortunately, WebPlanetHost is gone for good. As I said, I made a backup of my MySQL database, which is why I had a seamless transition to iVolve Host. Sadly, if you don't have any backups of your MySQL database, all your data has been lost, and you will need to start over. I'm sorry for you loss.

the thing is that my database is huuuuuuuuuuge and re-uploadin it to my new host has been nothing short of problematic, phpmyadmin timed out whenever i tried to re-upload my backup so i used a script marc told me about and it restored my forum to a certain extent but i can seem to login anymore and whenever u click on the last post thing, it comes out with a blank screen and whenever u try to make a post, u get a blank screen aswell!!!
Neil (former owner of WebPlanetHost) is now opening a new free host called 'Zeeblo'. This host will have features similar to what WebPlanetHost had (500MB Space, 5GB bandwidth, Unlimited parked domains, Unlimited addon domains, Unlimited MySQL databases, etc.). The website is not officially open yet, but if you ask Neil through MSN (help[at]zeeblo[dot]com) he'll create an account for you.

He'll also be offering paid accounts as well as reseller accounts.

Quote:If I could figure out how to get my server public, I would do that, too. I already have the DNS name and all that, but no one other than me can access it.
Basically, here's what you need to do:
1) Get a web server (most likely IIS or Apache, I assume you've already got one)
2) Allow port 80 through your firewall (Port 80 is the HTTP port)
3) Get a domain name (sounds to me like you already got one)
4) Point the domain name to your IP address

NOTE: Make sure you point the domain to your PUBLIC IP address, NOT your PRIVATE IP address (private IP addresses include 127.0.0.1, 10.xx.xx.xx, 172.16.xx.xx to 172.31.xx.xx or 192.168.xx.xx).
If you have a dynamic ip address (one that changes), you might be intrested in something like dyndns

Quote:I agree snake1131. Most of the stuff I do is coded on localhost first, then uploaded. That way my computer is always up-to-date.
I do the same thing, except I store my web stuff on a spare computer I have, running Debian Linux Big Grin
k776 Wrote:I agree snake1131. Most of the stuff I do is coded on localhost first, then uploaded. That way my computer is always up-to-date.

Same here, except MySQL databases must be taken from the server Sad And that's what hits me when my host goes unexpectedly down (not WPH, but others I've had)
Oh. You should use linux. Everything can be on your computer! PHP/mySQL/perl, you name it. Which means you code on your comp and upload later.
k776 Wrote:Oh. You should use linux. Everything can be on your computer! PHP/mySQL/perl, you name it. Which means you code on your comp and upload later.

Actually the same can be done on a Windows computer Smile

I code on my Windows computer, then upload it to my webhost. However, what I was saying was that the latest database always resides on the server (ie. on a message board, the posts get saved in the server's database, not your computer.) So if the host suddenly goes down, you have no notice to get your database backed up from the server, however you will have your files saved on your computer.
I perfer my setup better, do all the coding on my localhost enviornment, which is run on gentoo linux then pop it over into a mounted samba drive which is on my *production* debian server which from there I test it with my settings on that since its simmilar to mine on my server in NYC. From there it heads out to that server.
tmhai Wrote:I wanted to run a server of my own where I will have pretty nifty themes for myBB and my own personal website but my ISP doesnt allow me to do that.

Mine didnt really care, but once they found out my server was more secure then theirs they got kinda ticked at that and blocked port 80 on me Sad
HomeDawg Wrote:
tmhai Wrote:I wanted to run a server of my own where I will have pretty nifty themes for myBB and my own personal website but my ISP doesnt allow me to do that.

Mine didnt really care, but once they found out my server was more secure then theirs they got kinda ticked at that and blocked port 80 on me Sad

Nice, what a great ISP Rolleyes.
Pages: 1 2 3