MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Japanese Translation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
G'day all, If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to ask for one more language for the myBB forums to have a plugin for.

If it's a all possible, could there eventually be a Japanese translation for the myBB forums? I'd like to know if there's one in progress or to suggest it as one of the languages on my site is going to be Japanese. (although, my site is still very unstable and jumps around with the links...)

I want to make this a suggestion if it hasn't been brought up yet.

Peace.

- Swifty
There hasn't been one created yet because no one here has stepped forward yet. However, if you know both English and Japanese, you can start translating one Smile
Okay, I understand what you mean. I would do the translation myself, but sadly I can't read a word of Japanese let alone write it.

It's a bummer when you have to rely on engines such as Google Translator to convert your text to another language, and I think some of what you get in some of the Asian languages aren't right half of the time.

Thanks mate for letting me know about how these things work here, and I'm glad that someone actually replied to this.

- Swifty
I guess that various MyBB forum admins went ahead and localized for Arabic, Dutch, Farsi etc., yeah? This is very cool. If we go with MyBB we might try to create a Japanese version. But would this require a Japanese support Wiki, system messages, the works?

Swifty, I know what you mean about machine translation and Asian language. There's a long way to go. Some interesting discussion of the way Japanese comes out on Google Translate in this article: Clients’ confusions about the difference between translation memory and machine translation

Same site has some Japanese translation links. (See left column, halfway down.)

I'm wondering whether MyBB allows for language switching within the same board. I mean so that Italian users can click to choose an Italian interface and English users of the same forum can have an English interface. Obviously the user contributed content will always remain in the language that was contributed in whatever post. But some SNSs are now allowing users of various languages to mingle and at least choose the interface language. For example see Asoboo.com. Try clicking the different language links at the top of the page. The content stays the same. Only the interface language changes.
warm japanese... thanks for the links, I looked at them and the Asoboo site has a very nice engine running. Although my year's knowledge of Mandarin Chinese has been replaced by my self taught Japanese speech, it's probably in Cantonese anyway... but back to what I was about to say...

That's the kind of engine/system that multilingual sites need to start taking heed of that idea (or something similar anyway) and come up with a way of using it for their benefit.

Still, we aren't there yet, there's thousands, possibly millions of characters, symbols and numerals that make up all of the languages in the world... except what has been dubbed as the Leet language, which is basically English characters numbers and symbols, [see 1337, |337, l33t, etc.].

Oh, and if anyone here's curious, currently, I am 18 years of age (March 2008) and work as IT support (cert III here I come!! YAY!!! crap pay though)... If this surprises you, that's tops but I want to learn how websites are perceived in the real world so that I can eventually form my own business... learn while you're young, the mind molds easier to change for most people.

Sorry to make this freaking long and the eyebrow raising paragraph above -_^...

Cheers.

- Swifty
SwiftVagabond Wrote:Sorry to make this freaking long and the eyebrow raising paragraph above -_^...
Swifty, it was very interesting indeed. Not too long, and my eyebrows remained in normal position. Haha. The online-social-networking-site-development world needs young know-how like yours, surely.
Wink
if you want to set the web in Japanese, then you'd need Japanese adminUndecided
I'm actually working on a Japanese translation for MyBB 1.4.13.

I know proper grammar, so I just need to look up some individual nouns and unconjugated verbs and conjugate myself. It should be very accurate when done. Smile

(With as much kanji as possible, because katakana is almost like transliterating and that doesn't help much, does it? Toungue)
Translations made by non-native speakers are bound to be crappy.
(2010-05-08, 09:33 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Translations made by non-native speakers are bound to be crappy.

I'm really good in my grammar, but yes I'm sure a native speaker could do a whole lot better. No doubt.

Still much better than Google Translate, however. Wouldn't you agree?
Pages: 1 2