MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Side shadows?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Like on this, the sides have shadows on them. I was wondering how I could do this, I was thinking the index template but I'm not for sure, if I should add a few td's or what. I have the image I just don't know exactly what to edit.
Inferno Wrote:Like on this, the sides have shadows on them. I was wondering how I could do this, I was thinking the index template but I'm not for sure, if I should add a few td's or what. I have the image I just don't know exactly what to edit.

I think this was done with the background image. If not then it might be CSS but I am sure it is the graphics. You can do it in photoshop when you create your background image.
^_^

Yeah, it's mostly done using Photoshop Images - though I have seen CSS that is capable of placing slices on either side. How they do it I don't know.
It's not the background image, it's a seperate image.

http://mybboard.net/assets/images/shadow.png

However, I figured it out.
I was just trying to figure this out. You mind sharing the answer with us/me?
This site basically does it by having a "container" div inside a "shadow" div.

The container div is the section in the middle of the site with the white background. It is 940px wide.

The shadow div is wider the container; it is 980px wide. (the width of the container + two shadow images).

So to get the shadows on either side of the shadow div they use the following css:

div#shadow {
background:transparent url(theurltotheshadowimage) repeat-y scroll left top;
height:auto;
margin:auto;
position:relative;
width:980px;
}

However, I imagine their images are copyrighted and they wouldn't take too kindly to you using them (without prior permission).

To see how sites do things, view it's source; you can learn a lot. (CTRL+U in Firefox)

EDIT: I have no Idea how you would go about diong this in myBB, however Smile.
I'll have to test that out ^^ and see what I can do. Toungue
Does it HAVE to be a shadow image? Can it be like a border (rounded corners for the borders and multiple borders is what I'd use it for) and still display properly?

I'm sure I could figure it out... The border images doesn't work in Firefox Sad (the one in the tutorials section). That's why I'd like this.
I'm still trying to do it, I thought I had it figured out but it didnt work Sad
Awww, shucks...
Pages: 1 2