MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MP4 Not Playing ON Xbox360
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've converted a .mkv file to MP4 with Videora(Xbox360 H.264 720p setting, and also tried Mpeg 4 480p setting)

The Mpeg4 came out unrecognisable in all players, and the H.264, which could be read by players, was unrecognised by the 360 when burned to a dual layer DVD. The H.264 also came out in MP4 format. Shouldn't I be getting a WMV output file for compatibility on the 360?

I've got all the 360 updates installed.

Any ideas, please??
You'll have to check what formats the Xbox360 supports (I have no idea myself).

Typically, the supported video format for consoles is very strict (ie must adhere to a strict standard).

MP4 is the standard container for storing H.264 / H.263 video streams. But being Microsoft, they probably don't support it.
You'll need a converter which can encode your video into a compatible WMV stream. Note that WMV and H.264 have basically nothing in common.
I think there might be a download on XBOX Live to let you play MP4 files.
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:You'll have to check what formats the Xbox360 supports (I have no idea myself).

Typically, the supported video format for consoles is very strict (ie must adhere to a strict standard).

MP4 is the standard container for storing H.264 / H.263 video streams. But being Microsoft, they probably don't support it.
You'll need a converter which can encode your video into a compatible WMV stream. Note that WMV and H.264 have basically nothing in common.

There are only a few supported formats and WMV is one of them but there are some official codecs for the Xbox360 which I'm not sure if there's a MP4 one but you can try going online to find out.
AAC music and MP4 video are supported with a downloadable plugin on Xbox Live.
Media Converter is what I use to convert stuff, I don't know if it converts .mkv but you should try and convert your .mkv to a .wmv if possible...