MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: does placing a ban on an IP block just 1 computer or...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
does it block all the computers from a certain host?

I want to ban several members not several providers. Someone told me if I start using IP ban I will actually be blocking entire blocks of users from my community site and not just 1 person.

Thanks for helping me understand.

Goody2Shoes
As far as I am aware if you ban the IP and NOT the ISP, it should be fine. If you ban a Hostname/ISP then everyone using the same host will be blocked from viewing the community. Though I'm only guessing, mate. It's best to get DennisTT or someone to answer.
well this is what i thought as well Ordellani ... thanks and I 'll await more opinions.

I want to ban complete IP's

example 69.3.249.65

the .65 identifies the computer not the ISP right?
I'm not really sure, mate. I'm a Military man, not a computer genius. LOL
As of what I know, the .65 indicates the computer not the ISP.
that's what i thought too

i'm going with it and using IP ban

thanks all
I think both 249.65 are indicates to the computer..
Goody2Shoes Wrote:well this is what i thought as well Ordellani ... thanks and I 'll await more opinions.

I want to ban complete IP's

example 69.3.249.65

the .65 identifies the computer not the ISP right?

Yes that is correct. However, just be warned that most ISPs use dynamic IP allocation, which means after a while the user might be assigned a different IP address (say for example 69.3.249.70) and thus be able to access your board again.
Thanks Dennis.

You know you provide something for a community and someone always has to be an arse. Go figure.

Thanks for all you do here and your help. It is much appreciated!
You're welcome.