MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Talking politics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On my forum (Which is an international forum) we do not discuss politics. We try and promote a positive atmosphere for everyone to be in. It's much needed for my type of forum to keep learning and friendship on a high curve. It's amazing how everyone treats everyone and gets along. I have a great sign-up rate too. I attribute that to the positive atmosphere our board and members bring. It's a very succesful site for some of these reasons.

I've learned one thing over the years and that is international politics is a pointless topic to discuss on internet forums due to the extreme range of cultures in the world. There's just no way possible everyone can come togather.

This may be a good model for MyBB to follow. Outsiders come to MyBB and see hostility, anger, broken community and figure what they see is how it is. That alone reflects badly upon first impressions and isn't needed to keep MyBB succesful. In the future, it would be nice to see something positive.

The other thing we practice at my site is respect. No one member is better than the other. Everyone is equel. There's no name calling either. MyBB has great Members in it. We should all bring ourselves to that level to represent this software to aid it in all ways we can.

I've talked to a few members that have left our humble home here at MyBB. Everytime it seems the conversation comes back to how people are treated here. I just had one lady who was going to download this software. She said she was scared to ask a question here because she was afraid she'd be burned at the stake for not being a programmer after a few posts she has read. Yet, I've seen members here help out people that didn't know much. But those posts are hard to find because most of the time people are to busy cutting someone down or being rude... It's just not needed to make this software succesful folks. It does just the opposite in all reality. If a subject goes south and would effect how someone perceives our community and product, it's time to get rid of it. just my 2 cents

regards

Regards
Then I suggest you practise what you preach since you were the one who started that hostility by being blind to everyone's view but your own.
This is not the forum to discuss sensitive topics about politics or your views if they cannot be handled in a professional way.

Edit: I'm not sure where your friend got the impression that she would be burned at the stake for not being a programmer. We welcome everyone to come and ask questions about MyBB.