MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Multiple independent boards on one website?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it possible to run multiple independent boards on the same website, driven by one installation of MyBB?

I am the webmaster of a rather large community website, and it has a number of areas, each of which could benefit from an independent bulletin board.

Thanks,

- Henrik
You mean more than 1 installation of MyBB? Or just forums in one board? (Categories and the like?)

Well if those two were your questions, then they are both yes. Just make sure to change the cookie settings of the boards you're going to install in the same domain as they might have conflicting cookies that will mess up your login's.
Yes make sure you change them! I have had problems with them on the same server and not setting the cookies up correctly.
Thanks for the tip about cookies, guys -- I'll look into it.

I meant one installation, but multiple independent boards in the same domain, using the one codebase.

In the area of Wikis, for example, pmWiki has the concept of a WikiFarm (one installation of pmWiki) running any number of WikiFields (to the users, apparently independent Wikis in the same domain -- I hope; I haven't actually done it yet). The configuration is to have a directory for the wiki software, with a configuration file allowing multiple "wikifields", and a separate data directory for each Wiki.

The analog for Mybb would be, I presume, one code installation, and multiple mySQL table sets (in one mySQL database), with a unique table name prefix for each bulletin board table set.

On the community site for which I am webmaster (www.dufferinpark.ca), for example, there is an area (subsite - www.cobinthepark.ca) for cob construction (an ancient building technique involving mixing of clay, lime, and straw - some locals are building a little courtyard in our park with a fireplace, a washroom, and a food service area), and also an area to monitor what the city is doing to city playgrounds (www.dufferinpark.ca/cityplaygrounds) not too good, a long story). These are areas on the same site, and might each benefit from a bulletin board. Doesn't necessarily make sense to have them as categories on the same board. Not enough in common for that.

I'm hoping that MyBB can give me a separate board for each subsite. MyBB has a good feel to it, also the community. As well, from a technical design perspective, such deployment flexibility tends to promote confidence in the design decisions that have gone into the software. (I'm a database application developer, long in the tooth, 24 years in the biz).

Thanks,

- Henrik