MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to eliminate/alter login?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All,

I am trying to decide between MyBB and phpBB3.

My situation is this:

I realize that one of the main points with a forum is to have sign-up and log-in procedures. However, in my case, I have converted an old forum to SMF, and the contents of the old forum are no longer available online and the host of said forum chose to not import the old forum into its new forum software.

I have been tasked with updating the old forum and make a searchable CD (on which will be the old forum's contents, but using new forum software because the old forum's software been discontinued), which CD will be distributed to attorneys.

I have already found a solution for putting the forum software on a searchable CD.

Each attorney who has previously signed in to the forum could sign in with their old user name and password, but it would be much easier for the attorneys to be able to skip the logging in and go straight to the Forum index page. Also, attorneys who never signed into the old Forum would not have the opportunity to do so with the Forum on CD.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to eliminate the need to login or how to develop a login process which passes a static password/username to MyBB to satisfy the login?

Thanks,
edsager
OK, here is a new take on the above question:

1. Person goes to Home page of Main website.
2. From Home page of Main website, person has option to input username and password of both myBB forum (which is in a subsite to Main website), which will be the same username and password of a non-myBB subsite of the Main website.
3. After person inputs said username and password, person then chooses one of two buttons to go to either myBB forum or other non-myBB subsite of Main.
4. myBB bypasses the login page, authenticates User (person) and welcomes the User at the index page of myBB or non-myBB subsite of Main.
5. myBB is able to bypass the login page because Home page of Main website sets a cookie on User PC which includes the username and password variables consistent with the myBB login variables.

Questions:

1. What are the variables I need to save in my cookie?
2. What part of the myBB Main index page code looks up the information in cookies?
3. Any idea where I can go to find out how to have myBB look up the information of the cookie or what I can do to get the cookie in the same place and in the same format which myBB uses?
4. Any other ideas on how I can bypass the login page? (Such as, "get username and password; if username and/or password do not equal an authentic username and/or password already in user database, then username and password equal default and authentic username and password which has been entered into user database.)

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
edsager