MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can I change database table prefix after installing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My problem is I have put a meaningless prefix on my database tables and I want to change it now. I have looked around on phpmyadmin and I can edit query for creating table. Does that change the table name?

Then, I guess if I change every table name to a new prefix and I change config.php nothing bad happens, wouldn't it?

Thanks, goodbye.
if you didn't use anyother scripts on the same db (eg. mk portal)
so you can do it with attached file..
just upload it to your site and fill the fields and see the magic!
and yes you will only need to update the table_prefix in config.php file..

Note: don't include the "_" in the new table prefix in it's field..

hope that what you need

Edit: sorry am not sure if the author allow anyone to provide it anywhere else.. so I would redirect you to it's tutorial..
MySql table prefix Change tool in php
Xdlo Wrote:Then, I guess if I change every table name to a new prefix and I change config.php nothing bad happens, wouldn't it?

Yes that's the right way to do it. You can rename existing tables in phpMyAdmin by going into the "Operations" tab, and moving the table to a new name.

Alternatively you can use pepotiger's script which automates things Smile

As always, a database backup will never hurt, just in case things don't go as planned.

Cheers.
Thanks a lot. Only MyBB is installed in that DB so no problem with another scripts.

I'm changing prefixes in a few days I think, so when I success, I write here Smile

Thanks again. Goodbye.
you welcome hope it's help..