MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: ban ISP and range of IP's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to get rid of the anonymouse.org, proxy.aol....., stuff where people hide thier IPs.

I have a mess that actually has the State Police involved and I don't want anymore anonymous people. Basically they are up to no good and that's why their hiding. I don't want any more hiders PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make this programming dummy a mod. Smile
You can't. Your option is to approve all signups manually..maybe ask for phone numbers or something to verify. There are millions of email addresses people can use. Would you remove all the gmail accounts or hotmail members? You could do an include only list that would require...bah...who am I kidding...your request is a rather unreasonable one. You can't stop the anonyminity of the internet.
I disagree with you labrocca..

I agree with Goody2Shoes, this is a GREAT feacher to have.

I had all them feachers with phpbb2 and it was a huge help cutting down on spam and unwanted IP ranges and well known bad email ranges.
We cut that kind of crap down to almost nothing after a few months of using banning in that way.

Sure, you can not "completely" stop it, but my last board was living proof that you sure can cut it all down to a bare minimum with them tools.

We went from about 10 to 15 bad users a day to about 1 or 2 a month.
You have my vote on this super idea, i would love to have that kind of control again.. with mybb this time Smile
i would like this mod too if it was possible.
on my phpbb board i can ban email, ip and usernames , i kinda miss it on mybb
As stated, there is really no way to block out proxys or "IP hiding things".
Even no-way to block out a majority of those.

New proxys pop up every day - it's impossible to guess what's going to come up. New computers get exploited, and attackers tend to use those to perform those nasty things. How are you going to be able to tell the difference between a "normal" computer and a exploited one?

At best, all you can do is perform some superficial measures such as banning IP ranges or some email domains. Will it work? Generally not (assuming the attackers aren't that stupid) - it might make you feel safer though. Nothing is really stopping them from using a Hotmail email address, or proxying through another country...
Can't IP ranges be blocked by adding an asterisk at the end, something like this...

original IP address : 111.222.333

Blocked IP range : 111.222.*

The same could be applied to email addresses....

[email protected]

*gmail.com
^ That, just don't put in the "*"s.

For example, entering 111.222.333 will ban 111.222.333.5 or 111.222.333.88 etc.