MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Gold syndrome
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Of late, most requests and problems are referred to, or replied to... "It will be fixed in MyBB-Gold" ...

What about the poor people of today who are still downloading RC4 4-Oct-2004 ?

Shouldn't some of the known bugs be removed from RC4 and maybe a release of RC4.1 in lieu of "It'll be fixed" who knows when ???

I'd like to start a forum going... But I don't see any reason to use MyBB with its known bugs that are being "held over" for fixing some time in the future. Sad
From what I know of how gold works...it's a bit different than how things are now with RC4. In some parts, you could probably just copy and paste the solution into the file in subject and it would be fine, but the majority are linked into a more complex set of code. Hence why people are holding off creating big or minor mods until gold arrives as well, you would have to start over again when gold comes.

So, to answer your question, yes they could just patch those files with the fixes, but that would mean bringing in the functions and features linked with those set of codes, which will just ultimately give....mybb gold. If you search around, many of these bugs do have manual fixes for you to do.
I wasn't worried about me Cory. Wink

There are lots of novices who would download RC4; and at the first instance of a problem declare it too buggy to use and go on to try other forum software. Reading about what will be fixed in the future, doesn't lend itself to give the impression that the problems are being addressed today.

I am also aware that Gold will be a whole new scenario because of the major restructuring of it.

But it's not good to stop working on - and upgrading what is available, just because we're going to get a new one... sometime in the future ?

There are people out there who's expertise would prevent them from even trying MyBB-RC4, while knowing they are going to have to apply a lot of 'small' patches to make it work properly or better.
Yes, myBB RC4 is very buggy. And thats what happens when something is released faster than it should have been :x That is why myBB Gold is taking so long to get released. Not only is it actually still being coded, but at least 1-2 bugs are still being found a week. And so to prevent what happened with RC4, all bugs are being found and fixed first. Now, back on topic.

In some bug threads reported here, there is some fixes. DennisTT started a thread with common bugs and links to their fixes or the reason behind it. You can find it here:
http://www.mybboard.com/community/showth...p?tid=2011
Feel free to post as many as you can so he can update the list.

But as far as fixing RC4 download, the only time it is update is when security patches are released. And fixing the RC4 download yourself is against the EULA (just incase you thought you might be able too).
There is nothing wrong with software being 'revised' and released in decimal points rather than accumulating the problems for a full-blown upgrade.

And as for fixing it myself.. I have no intention of patching someone else's software and then make it available for anyone. The 'trial' download I have here in another thread is 'stock-standard' and it's only there to try to resolve Mike's problem. If and when he downloads it, it will be removed.

And if he hasn't given up already, it will be removed very shortly anyway.