MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Error 404 on Admin CP - No access to Admin CP at all
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I wonder if someone can help me...

I have just done a completely standard install of MyBB. Everthing seems to work perfectly EXCEPT for the Admin CP. New users can register, all links work, the User CP works etc.

I can log in as admin but then when clicking on 'Admin CP' and re-entering my username and password I get the standard Error 404 message "The webpage cannot be found" (Please see attachment)

I have so far tried the following which I have found suggested with problems similar to mine....
-Renaming the admin folder (including changing the link to it in inc\config.php
-Disabling Gzip
-Reseting the password to the MD5 equivalent of "password" and deleting the 'salt' in the database
-Ensuring the cooking settings are correct and deleting browser cookies.

I am using a Xitami (Windows based) web server - just in case anyone's heard issues relating to this.

ANY information or suggestions would be very gratefully received. I'm not keen on giving out the URL but could arrange for this to be possible if felt necessary.

Many thanks, James
1) I see that your admin directory is not the default directory which is 'admin'. Remember you must change this in config.php manually.

Open config.php and find

/**
 * Admin CP directory
 *  For security reasons, it is recommended you
 *  rename your Admin CP directory. You then need
 *  to adjust the value below to point to the
 *  new directory.
 */

$config['admin_dir'] = 'admin';

And change it to:

/**
 * Admin CP directory
 *  For security reasons, it is recommended you
 *  rename your Admin CP directory. You then need
 *  to adjust the value below to point to the
 *  new directory.
 */

$config['admin_dir'] = 'forumadmin';

2) Check that all the files are tere. If necessary download a fresh copy from the mybboard.net and re-upload all the files on the 'admin' folder to your 'forumadmin' folder.
Hi DCR. Many thanks for your reply and suggestions.....

1.) As mentioned in my initial post I ensured that the reference to the admin directory was amended in 'inc\config.php'

2.) I have tried getting a fresh copy of the 'admin' folder from the 'uploads' folder in a new download and copying this into my webpages over the original 'admin' folder didn't work either.

(I only changed the name of the 'admin' folder to 'forumadmin' as '\admin' is used on the end of domain names / paths by the web server for its own admin pages and I thought there may be confusion here. Alas, no.)

:-( Strange that everything else should work properly except for the Admin CP.

Any other ideas?

Regards,

James
So it's after you log into the AdminCP?
If so, can you post the URL of your AdminCP, and the URL you are directed to after you log into the AdminCP?
Hi ZiNgA BuRgA, and many thanks for your reply.....l

The URL that presents the Admin CP login prompt (MyBB
Administration Login -
No valid administration session was found. - Username field, Password field)..... is http://www.MYDOMAIN/forum/forumadmin/index.php

Then, once I've entered the credentials, it shows the Error 404 page on ..... the same URL... http://www.MYDOMAIN/forum/forumadmin/index.php

I will work on being able to show the actual domain name so you can try it for yourself. Gotta lock down the server a little before doing this.

Regards,

James
It seems this actually may not be an issue with MyBB, since, if you're being redirected back to the exact same URL, your webserver should be able to find the page without issue.

I can't really help much - you'll probably need to double check your webserver settings or something.

Also, try accessing the AdminCP from a different link - ie view a user's profile and choose "Edit This user in the AdminCP".
Hi again ZiNgA BuRgA and thanks again for taking the time....

Yes, I still suspect it has something to do with the 'Admin' pages of the Xitami (web server) configuration - some sort of conflict at install (of MyBB) time.

Am going to try to move the 'admin' pages of Xitami away from their '/admin' location and do another fresh install of MyBB then probably give up on that idea if it doesn't work.

I tried accessing the Admin CP from another area as per your suggestion. The same thing happened. Another 404 Error.

In response to your first paragraph, I don't necessarily agree. I think the php in 'admin\index.php' can handle presenting some content (ie. a login box) if Session Variables (or similar) say there is no user logged in but not when credentials are then entered correctly and the Session Variables say there IS a user logged in.
Further evidence in support of this theory is that if INCORRECT credentials are entered a page saying the following is produced....

"You are either not a valid administrator or have not logged in.
Please login below."

I hope this all makes sense.

Regards,

James
JerseyVoice Wrote:In response to your first paragraph, I don't necessarily agree. I think the php in 'admin\index.php' can handle presenting some content (ie. a login box) if Session Variables (or similar) say there is no user logged in but not when credentials are then entered correctly and the Session Variables say there IS a user logged in.
Further evidence in support of this theory is that if INCORRECT credentials are entered a page saying the following is produced....

"You are either not a valid administrator or have not logged in.
Please login below."

I hope this all makes sense.
Hmm, interesting.
I might be suspecting some possible issues with headers?
Cause if the login is successful, you get redirected to .../admin/index.php?adminsid=XXXXXX
It could be possible that the redirect sent through the header isn't correct, but maybe IE doesn't change the URL if it hits a 404? Firefox will change the address bar to the redirected URL, and then display a 404. I really don't know, sorry (maybe just give it a spin in another browser to see if that's the case maybe??).