MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Top Tools/Tips
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was just wondering about the different tools and handy stuff that people here are using. I know I have my favorite stuff but I am wondering if there are many more that I am NOT using simple because I do not know about them.... or perhaps there are even better apps that I could be using...

So if people are interested...it'd be nice to have a list of cool/helpful/handy apps that you use...

For me the list could be for example (non-exhaustive):

WEBSITE DEVELOPMENT
-----------------------
Notepad++
WinMerge

OS
---
TweakUI for XP

BROWSERS
-----------
FF with:
- WebDeveloper
- DownThemAll
- FireFTP

OTHER:
-------
Azureus
PowerArchiver
DaemonTools
CutePDFWriter

PLANNING TO TRY:
------------------
CyberlinkLive
Bootvis

cheers,
Kimmo
I'm especially interested in the 'OTHER:' part. Smile

WEBSITE DEVELOPMENT
Notepad++

OS
Win XP PRO SP2

BROWSERS
IE7
Firefox (with all my plugins listed in the 'firefox plugin' thread Toungue)

FTP APP? (added one category Toungue)
WS FTP professional 2007
WEB DEV
------------
Wordpad

OS
-------
Windows XP 2002 Media Center Edition SP2

Fav BROWSERS
-------------
Firefox

OTHER
---------
Office 2007

Tried
-------
DuMP Alpha 0001 Toungue
WEB DEVELOPMENT:

Notepad++
Opera (Ctrl+Alt+V) :p
Adobe Coldfusion 8

BROWSERS:

IE5.5
IE6
IE7
Firefux 2
Opera 9
Safari 3
Konqueror on Linux VM

OS
Windows XP SP2 with Linux Ubuntu Virtual Machine (runs very poorly)
Linux Xandros is about 48% downloaded.

RANDOM PROGRAMMING

Visual Basic 6
Visual Studio 2008 + Visual C# 2005
DS Game Maker
Free Pascal

FTP
Filezilla - pure crap.
SmartFTP
FTP Explorer

IMAGE EDITING

Adobe Fireworks CS3
Adobe Photoshop CS3
Adobe Illustrator CS2
The Gimp
Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9
Paint.NET

Multimedia

Windows Media Player 10
Super C - Ultimate Media Converter
Audacity
iTunes - I can't uninstall this, no matter what I try :s
PSP Video 9 - Super C does everything this does, I just can't be bothered to uninstall it.
DVD Decrypter
DVD Shrink 3.2
Nero Start Smart - the second latest version

ANTIVIRUS

Soon to be updated.....

Some More:

Microsoft Office 2003
Outlook Express
Autocad 2004
Why am I the only one who is using ws ftp? Sad
okay...I wasn't really thinking about all apps people have but rather handly little gadgets, productivity tools.....I believe everyone has an OS, everyone has a browser, most people have some kind of office-package be it MSOffice/OpenOffice/StarOffice/kOffice whatever....

I am curious about the 'hidden gems' that save a lot of time, add great functionality but are still not part of the 'standard package' in computers. I would for example interested to know if there are any great free apps that would allow me to clean up a WinXP Registry that has seen more abuse in it's 5 years of running, than Michael Jacksons nose.

just my 0.02
Kimmo Wrote:okay...I wasn't really thinking about all apps people have but rather handly little gadgets, productivity tools.....I believe everyone has an OS, everyone has a browser, most people have some kind of office-package be it MSOffice/OpenOffice/StarOffice/kOffice whatever....

I am curious about the 'hidden gems' that save a lot of time, add great functionality but are still not part of the 'standard package' in computers. I would for example interested to know if there are any great free apps that would allow me to clean up a WinXP Registry that has seen more abuse in it's 5 years of running, than Michael Jacksons nose.

just my 0.02

Yes but OS choice can change a lot on web development tools. I mean a lot of things poster here will not work for most linux distros and some only work on linux. So if you just list something that someone may want and they find out they can't have its kind of disappointing. Like photoshop (My missed image editor) is only for mac and windows. So I can't use it(Except through wine but doesn't feel right to me).

Also little tools like the one you gave an example of are pretty easy to find quickly on sites like softpedia Wink.

Finally what I'm using and still getting very used too.(Recently switched to linux so its different)
Operating System: Open Suse 10.3
Browser: Firefox (Would have opera too but flash doesn't work with latest version)
Image Editor:GIMP(Which I'm having a lot of trouble learning to use)
Wed Dev:Quanta Plus
FTP:FireFTP(Firefox addon as there isn't much FTP choices I like that I can find on suse).
For cleaning the registry, well, first, is it worth it? Will removing a few KB of registry keys really make your computer faster? It's the main thing I don't get with all those "registry cleaner programs" - they claim to speed up your computer by deleting unnecessary stuff, but if you think about it, even if there's thousands of entries, it's really only a few KB.

The main thing in the registry which will affect speed is startup entries - you can use an application like Sysinternals' Autoruns to manage that.
Here's my programs:

WEB DEV
PHP Editor 2.2.2(Windows)
gEdit(Linux)
CoreFTP LE(Windows)
gFTP(Linux)

BROWSERS
FireFox 2.0.12(Windows & Linux)
IE 7(Windows)

BROWSER EXTENSIONS
Flash Player 9.0.115.0(FireFox & IE[Windows & Linux])
Batch Download(FireFox[Windows & Linux])
Freecorder Toolbar(FireFox[Windows])
WinAmp Toolbar(IE(Useless)[Windows])

OS'S
Windows XP Pro SP2/Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Dual Boot

IRC
Konversation(Linux)

ANTIVIRUS
AVG 7.5(Windows)
Ad-Aware Free(Windows)

MEDIA
WinAmp 5.5(Windows)
Totem Movie Player(Linux)
LimeWire 4.16.6(Windows)
LimeWire 4.15.2 BETA (Linux)

...A LOOOOONG list of useful stuff.
Development
PHP Designer 2008, it's little tools for SVN and FTP are really good for quick edits to files and stuff.

Media
Windows Media Player 11, couldn't code without it. Big Grin

Subversion Control
TortoiseSVN, Makes commiting to SVN so much easier. Big Grin