MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can the 'post a thread field' be made faster?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

The 'Post A Thread' field in my forum often takes too long to load, unlike the way it loads here. I don't think it's a server problem because my server is fast and this field has loaded quicker with other forum scripts I have used.

Any way to speed it up?

By the way, I installed vBulletin in the past, but I like your script better. vBulletin, in my view, overcomplicates the admin control panel, your's is easy to use, highly intuitive, and I like the more compact look of your script.
bobboyd Wrote:Hi,

The 'Post A Thread' field in my forum often takes too long to load, unlike the way it loads here. I don't think it's a server problem because my server is fast and this field has loaded quicker with other forum scripts I have used.

Any way to speed it up?

By the way, I installed vBulletin in the past, but I like your script better. vBulletin, in my view, overcomplicates the admin control panel, your's is easy to use, highly intuitive, and I like the more compact look of your script.

It really depends on how people are on the same server as you. The more sites, to slower the server loads pages. I know some host allow over 100 sites on one server, to me that's a no no.

Now in the gold release everything loads faster because the code different (there is no release date right now), but for now you might want to ask your host to move you to a faster server with less sites on it.

Marc
Thanks for the response. Here's why I wonder if it's server-related. My phpBB board is still up, haven't announced the move yet, and it loads lightning fast and always has. This makes me think that if I had a slow server, the phpBB board 'post a thread' field would drag too.
bobboyd Wrote:Thanks for the response. Here's why I wonder if it's server-related. My phpBB board is still up, haven't announced the move yet, and it loads lightning fast and always has. This makes me think that if I had a slow server, the phpBB board 'post a thread' field would drag too.

Different software. Remember phpBB has less features it has to load, so it would load lightning fast. I just ran a test on one of the RC4 boards on my server, it only takes about 5 seconds (if you have the Friendly Redirection Pages on).

Here's a few things to try, it should make things load better.

Log into the Admin CP. Under Board Settings click "Change", click "Server and Optimization Options".

Turn Use GZip Page Compression on (if GZip is installed on your server).

Turn Friendly Redirection Pages off

Submit Changes

Things should load a bit faster, but like I said it depends on how many sites are using the same server (and how big they are).
Quote:Things should load a bit faster, but like I said it depends on how many sites are using the same server (and how big they are).

Thanks again for your help. You must be correct as the applied changes didn't make the speed any faster, and the posting field loads lightning fast on this board.

The only thing that has been holding me back from completely changing from my phpBB board to myBB is the slow speed in the posting field. I really like this forum script so I'm not above the work, figuring out how to move the forums with the sql database (Never did this before), and the time to move to another host where I will have better speed.

Is there a host anyone could recommend where I'd get better speed, or be on a server with less sites? I have a small website plus the forums with a little over 14,000 posts--only using 47.45 Megabytes (This will grow as the forum posts grow) and a bandwidth usage, so far this month, of 158.01 Megabytes.

I now host with "A Small Orange" and it came highly recommended and is said to host some big vBulletin boards, but, as you pointed out, I may be on a server with many other sites.
bobboyd Wrote:
Quote:Things should load a bit faster, but like I said it depends on how many sites are using the same server (and how big they are).

Thanks again for your help. You must be correct as the applied changes didn't make the speed any faster, and the posting field loads lightning fast on this board.

The only thing that has been holding me back from completely changing from my phpBB board to myBB is the slow speed in the posting field. I really like this forum script so I'm not above the work, figuring out how to move the forums with the sql database (Never did this before), and the time to move to another host where I will have better speed.

Is there a host anyone could recommend where I'd get better speed, or be on a server with less sites? I have a small website plus the forums with a little over 14,000 posts--only using 47.45 Megabytes (This will grow as the forum posts grow) and a bandwidth usage, so far this month, of 158.01 Megabytes.

I now host with "A Small Orange" and it came highly recommended and is said to host some big vBulletin boards, but, as you pointed out, I may be on a server with many other sites.

I'm the god of moving from server to server Toungue. Once I did it 3 times within a month, so after a while you get pretty darn good at it Big Grin.

I own www.mybbhosting.com. I host a few people from here.

tmhai who is a member here, owns www.ivolvehost.com. I know he host a few people from here also.
Thanks for the great info. I will email you or visit your forum with some questions about your hosting.
bobboyd Wrote:Thanks for the great info. I will email you or visit your forum with some questions about your hosting.

Okay Smile. When it comes to hosting, it's always better to do it on my forum. You'll get a much faster reply.