MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: how can i require new users to input "referrer" when registering?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i'm thinking about requiring a selection for referrer from a drop down menu. i know how to make the menu itself but im unclear on how to make it a required field. any ideas?

thanks in advance!
Hmm, so that I understand you, this is what you want to do:
- Users MUST enter a referrer when registering (even if they weren't referred by anyone)
- A dropdown list? So if you have 10,000+ members, the user would have to scroll through the long list?

Is that right?
hahahah i see what you mean
no... i was thinking more about site referrals and the drop-down could have major search engines and other referrers but also an option for 'Other' and 'An existing user' where they'd be able to submit more specific information.
Oh, so you're talking about a "Where did you find us?" type option? You can do so by making a required custom profile field.
im not quite sure where to start on this...
can i just duplicate one of the required fields already on the form and just modify it?
In admincp under the Users and Groups choose "Custom Profile Fields".

You can add one for "How did you find us?" and make it required. Keep in mind that this might tick people off that quickly fill in forms and when they don't tell you the required field have to retype the captcha and their passwords. That's annoying imho.
you're right, labrocca, maybe i won't make it required.
I usually make a sticky in my site feedback area asking people how they found the site. It usually gets posts and conversations going are good.