MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [F] PunBB - passwords and administrator permissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This is a follow-up to this post.

So as Tikitiki suggested, I tried again from scratch:

- I installed MyBB 1.2 - everything worked fine
- I created an "admin" account in case I lose admin permissions on my "iryx" account
- I copied the Merge System RC3 (mybb_merge_3682.zip) and edited the index.php to get logs
- I ran it and converted everything but note that right after I got my settings converted I got redirected to the "download report" page without a chance to run the cleanup and without any mention of loginconvert.php

Now:

- I can't login with my previous "iryx" admin account
- I can login with my "admin" admin account but I have no permissions at all, I can't post, I can't login to AdminCP, nothing.
- Last but not least, there were no logs created even though the file was correctly edited lol...

I included the report, just in case... Any idea?

Note that I could go edit the database manually and get the permissions set correctly but still I'd have to ask all my users to retrieve their password throught the "lost password" procedure or something I guess... If there's really a way to convert the passwords and ask nothing to the users that would be really cool!
Ok, well I need those logs to fix anything. Can you create a 'logs' directory in the convert directory with CHMOD 777 and try again. It should automatically create it, but for some reason it didn't on your account.

iryx Wrote:Note that I could go edit the database manually and get the permissions set correctly but still I'd have to ask all my users to retrieve their password throught the "lost password" procedure or something I guess... If there's really a way to convert the passwords and ask nothing to the users that would be really cool!

Like I said, all passwords can be converted if you did everything correctly. PunBB uses the loginconvert.php plugin.
With a pre-created "logs" directory, logs are now created successfully. I'm testing everything on localhost with WAMP so no true chmod here...

Symptoms are exactly the same as before, I hope the logs will help... Thanks a lot for your time Tikitiki!
If you open up your inc/plugins/ directory you should see loginconvert.php.

Quote:- I ran it and converted everything but note that right after I got my settings converted I got redirected to the "download report" page without a chance to run the cleanup and without any mention of loginconvert.php

Yes, that's done automatically.

It looks like everything is correct. The Merge System doesn't overwrite or change any current members, so your test Admin account is unrelated and I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working.

What was the error you got with your iryx account when you tried to log in?

And last, if I am unable to find a solution, I will have to test it myself which means that you'll need to put it up on some place accessible other than your localhost.
I have had low success so far with login convert and passwords. I don't know what the problem is but for some reason it just doesn't go well. I have myself created a simpler method but of course you will need to decide if it's right for you.

http://www.mybbcentral.com/showthread.php?tid=45

That's my password reset plugin..you can read more about it's function at mybb central.

What I have done is used that and also used my contact form plugin and made a header announcement that anyone not able to login should contact me. It's dirty but it works.
http://www.mybbcentral.com/showthread.php?tid=360

Lastly...if you want to fix your admin account...use my "backdoor" plugin. Smile
http://www.mybbcentral.com/showthread.php?tid=924

That can be used to efficiently fix your admin privileges. Smile

Enjoy.
labrocca Wrote:I have had low success so far with login convert and passwords. I don't know what the problem is but for some reason it just doesn't go well. I have myself created a simpler method but of course you will need to decide if it's right for you.

http://www.mybbcentral.com/showthread.php?tid=45

That's my password reset plugin..you can read more about it's function at mybb central.

What I have done is used that and also used my contact form plugin and made a header announcement that anyone not able to login should contact me. It's dirty but it works.
http://www.mybbcentral.com/showthread.php?tid=360

Lastly...if you want to fix your admin account...use my "backdoor" plugin. Smile
http://www.mybbcentral.com/showthread.php?tid=924

That can be used to efficiently fix your admin privileges. Smile

Enjoy.

Labrocca, there were some bugs in the earlier "beta" and RC versions of the loginconvert.php plugin that were only fixed in RC3. I can guarantee that it will work now.

And while I appreciate you offering solutions, it doesn't help at all with fixing the problems in the Merge System. I would appreciate it, if iryx did not use any of the above fixes until I can fix the problems in the Merge System myself. At which time, he can decide if he wants to use your solutions or the fixed version of the Merge System
That's good to know Tikitiki. I have an SMF forums I may be buying soon and doing a 30k post and 20k member conversion.

I wasn't trying to diminish the merge system but instead offer a different solution for the member in case he felt frustrated. The goal is to get someone into mybb and if the merge beta (yes still beta) prevents the person from successfully using mybb we should do all we can to help them transition. I believe we have seen people quit after the conversion process became cumbersome. I am always willing to help people convert to mybb in any possible method. I know eventually the merge system will be the way to go for all conversions but it's hard to ask new mybb admins to be beta testers on an unfamiliar system.

Goodluck iryx and just keep in mind that there are people willing to help you get this done and support your conversion efforts. Don't give up and understand that once you are mybb you will have rich features and a more managable forums for your members.
Tikitiki Wrote:What was the error you got with your iryx account when you tried to log in?

And last, if I am unable to find a solution, I will have to test it myself which means that you'll need to put it up on some place accessible other than your localhost.

I couldn't login: wrong password problem, but on this last test (the one you have the logs for), I put myself the loginconvert.php in inc/plugins/ in case the Merge System couldn't put it there either because of a file permission problem. And I just tried my "iryx" admin account and another test user I had created for that purpose and they both can login without any trouble. The "iryx" user has it's admin permissions set correctly too which makes the fact that the "admin" user lost his during the convert process even weirder... right? ^^

This error has to look weird to you Tikitiki and you may be wondering if I'm mentally healthy here lol but I can assure you this is the plain true. I'm starting to think all this is more related to WAMP localhost environnement, the file and folder permissions, etc. It may even work like I charm when I'll be trying it on the remote server...

If you want to test the conversion yourself, I could send you the .sql file of the database but it's probably pointless since it doesn't seem to be the source of the problem. If you want to re-create the conditions of failure, maybe just use WAMP5 on a WinXP SP2 environment and that should probably fail.

I understand the lack of transparency this kind of newbie localhost environment offers but I guess I'm not the only one using that fast way - and usually efficient - way of testing things. I never encountered any major problem when testing other boards and conversion systems and stuff like ampache works too. Maybe you could add some kind of writing permissions test (just like at the start of the MyBB install) and echo the results when running the script so the user can maybe take care of the failing actions like moving the loginconvert.php file, etc.

Thanks Tikitiki and thanks to you too Labrocca for the solutions you sugggested (and haven't tried and honestly hoping the classic way will do the trick ^^) and your wise point of view on things here. But in this case, I have enough self-conviction that the conversion to MyBB will be beneficial so I won't give up! ^^
iryx Wrote:And I just tried my "iryx" admin account and another test user I had created for that purpose and they both can login without any trouble.

I spoke too fast... After login/logout with those two accounts, I check "admin" to make sure I wasn't dreaming about the lost admin permissions (and I wasn't) and now I can't login with "iryx" or my test user either: wrong password.

Hopefully I had another test user so I just checked. The first time I try to log in, it goes alright. I then log out and try to log in again and I get the wrong password error message :/

What can I do to help?
Well, first of all, if the loginconvert.php plugin didn't automatically move itself it should have displayed a message saying you needed to do it manually.

Second, the loginconvert.php plugin needs to be activated in order to convert passwords for imported users from punBB. But as you said you cannot log in with your test admin account, which I have absolutely no idea on. So I need a way to be able to debug.

And see, the problem is, I cannot reproduce any of these bugs. I would fix them myself, but that's exactly the problem. I can't reproduce any of them. We test the converters pretty throughly before we release and I never had a problem with the punBB module.

If you can find a way so I can debug, that will help a lot.
Pages: 1 2 3