MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need computer tech help.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Oh, and it could be possible the computer doesn't have a virus. I would check all the start-up programs and other avenues also before thinking a virus scan will save you. Wink
I wish I knew what the server protection was to work with it. Anyways, I'm having a meeting with the principal soon to discuss what needs to be done. I'll need to know all possible problems and solutions to get him to do anything. Since the computer had no tasks on it at the time and was asleep when it froze with an image of the screensaver stuck on the monitor, I'm thinking about classifying this as a virus. The teacher isn't allowed to post, send emails, or use the internet until the problem has been resolved and the threat has been terminated.
Kimmo Wrote:just some food for thought....installing antivirus-programs now would be a bit like closing the barn door when the horses are waaaay gone...

Personally...I'd be tempted to recommend the following:

1) check if all the computer are the same hardware-wise..
2) if yes, take one of them...completely wipe them out...re-install everything...firewalls, anti-virus programs, ad-aware..the works...
3) create an image file of this setup
4) repeat & rinse on ALL computers...

Yes you could do the computers one by one....but you could never be 100% sure if you got everything out...and in the end it's just faster and more efficient to create one image and use that for all computers...

then again...what do I know Smile

cheers,
Kimmo

Even if there is already a virus, getting new up-to-date Anti-Virus software will help verify that one exists, and possibly provide methods on how to clean it.
Ryan Ashbrook Wrote:
Kimmo Wrote:just some food for thought....installing antivirus-programs now would be a bit like closing the barn door when the horses are waaaay gone...

Personally...I'd be tempted to recommend the following:

1) check if all the computer are the same hardware-wise..
2) if yes, take one of them...completely wipe them out...re-install everything...firewalls, anti-virus programs, ad-aware..the works...
3) create an image file of this setup
4) repeat & rinse on ALL computers...

Yes you could do the computers one by one....but you could never be 100% sure if you got everything out...and in the end it's just faster and more efficient to create one image and use that for all computers...

then again...what do I know Smile

cheers,
Kimmo

Even if there is already a virus, getting new up-to-date Anti-Virus software will help verify that one exists, and possibly provide methods on how to clean it.

with the emphasis on 'possibly'....in both cases...it will possibly find the virus and it will possibly remove it...no guarantees though...especially when it comes to rootkits etc.
if you have the possibility to do the fresh-install from a clean pre-built image I try to describe there....you'd have much more certainty....

although I am also in favour of the option here described before where every reboot is from a protected image...mess the computer up as bad as you wish and the next reboot is going to fix it all again... Don't have any experience though how it works in real life...

cheers,
Kimmo
I wish I remembered the name my high school used, it was called Deep Freeze or Below Zero... something cold related. LoL. It was extremely handy unless you wanted to store documents on the PC (but who does that on a public PC and with thumb drives less than $5).
with deep freeze you cannot save anything everything gets frozen
Well, the principal told me to stop since our school district refuses to fund another computer tech group. I'm trying to get a bunch of signatures on my side so that this group does get created cause the only Tech we have is Cyber Corp. All those guys do every time is just update the Command AntiVirus for Windows, and everytime they scan with it, it shows that there are no threats. I know that's not true cause a computer froze up when it had been unused for over an hour and asleep. The screensaver froze on it so there has to be something wrong. Noone will listen to me unless I'm in Cyber Corp, but they don't think I'm good enough to join. I'm really getting mad and confused.
darkheatran Wrote:with deep freeze you cannot save anything everything gets frozen
But if it is a public PC, there is no real reason to have to save anything on it. Plus, uninformed users saving stuff on it is what causes all these problems to begin with. Wink

suicune245 Wrote:Well, the principal told me to stop since our school district refuses to fund another computer tech group. I'm trying to get a bunch of signatures on my side so that this group does get created cause the only Tech we have is Cyber Corp. All those guys do every time is just update the Command AntiVirus for Windows, and everytime they scan with it, it shows that there are no threats. I know that's not true cause a computer froze up when it had been unused for over an hour and asleep. The screensaver froze on it so there has to be something wrong. Noone will listen to me unless I'm in Cyber Corp, but they don't think I'm good enough to join. I'm really getting mad and confused.

I don't know what exactly this Cyber Corp is, but I'm hoping it is a group of trained professionals that is contracted through the school, in which case, I don't think a student would be qualified for such a position with very limited knowledge and experience.

A computer freezing up does not mean there is a virus or anything bad on the PC. My advice is check the log files in Event Viewer (assuming it's a Windows XP/2000 PC) and find the cause of the crash/freeze before jumping to conclusions. It is unfortunate that your school's priorities don't include your computer network, but trying to fix things yourself will only cause more damage and probably get you in trouble.
I wish it was trained computer techs. Cyber Corp is just a group of kids who think they're good with computers, but they only know the basics. I even know more than them. I've already checked the logs. Nothing caused it that I could see. It was just that teachers usual grades, attendance, websites, and LimeWire. Nothing out of the ordinary. There's nothing I can do to fix the computers for now, but I will make sure that my school gets computer classes like web design, admin IT, etc. It's really starting to get annoying that my school has nothing.
suicune245 Wrote:I wish it was trained computer techs. Cyber Corp is just a group of kids who think they're good with computers, but they only know the basics. I even know more than them. I've already checked the logs. Nothing caused it that I could see. It was just that teachers usual grades, attendance, websites, and LimeWire. Nothing out of the ordinary. There's nothing I can do to fix the computers for now, but I will make sure that my school gets computer classes like web design, admin IT, etc. It's really starting to get annoying that my school has nothing.

I have marked your problem. P2P networks on a school network is a major security risk. Why this was allowed to be put on I don't know.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5