MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Charter Membership or V.I.P. group
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What do you think of the idea? More or less like they do at the smf forum. You can open a group for people who donate a certain amount of money to mybb in a yearly time frame and in return this group of people gets some extra things, like a Help Desk kind of thing where their support questions get priority, access to the Beta Versions, etc etc.

And why don''t you guys run some ads here, like google ads, adbrite or any other kind of advertisement?
dam Wrote:What do you think of the idea? More or less like they do at the smf forum. You can open a group for people who donate a certain amount of money to mybb in a yearly time frame and in return this group of people gets some extra things, like a Help Desk kind of thing where their support questions get priority, access to the Beta Versions, etc etc.

And why don''t you guys run some ads here, like google ads, adbrite or any other kind of advertisement?

They do have some text ads on the mainsite although I don't see why you want ads Rolleyes.

About charter I don't think its that great of an idea although more people will probably donate. All these people will whine and cry when their forum breaks because its using a beta version Wink . You can donate now you know too Wink.
NetSage, about the ads I meant so if they were here we all could click at them and help mybb a bit.

I think that Charter Membership is a good idea. Those people will know not to use the betas in their main forums but in their test ones instead. And yeas, I know about donating now Wink
Charter membership is exactly what I hate SMF for.
And it won't be good for MyBB either. This because first of all, everyone here has been waiting impatiently for MyBB 1.4 or a beta for it. If charter members get privileged and get it like.. weeks before everyone else, then that's quite lame IMO. This because not only when everyone will get what they've been waiting for, be thankful and might just donate to keep this great software going just to say thanks, but also because when everyone - not just charter members - get it, bug reports can be done more efficiently and quickly. And the idea of giving priviliged support over other people is the worst ever. Just keep it the way it is now. If new users want support and they've for example made a thread for it before a charter member, and the charter member gets support first, he/she might feel unwelcome and unwanted which makes him/her change of forum software. To just name one possible scenario. Also, comparisation MyBB isn't a big forum software and it's best to let everyone freely use it (including - betas of - the latest versions) so it will be more popular. Then, after we have at least 100k members, MAYBE introduce it. Still, I think it's a very bad idea.
We have been thinking of a paid priority support system for a long long time. However, there were some monetary-related complications which inhibited such as system from being established here. However, I envision that if such as system were put into place, the support requests will be private, so only the requester and staff would see the priority requests.

The MyBB software will always remain free, and there will always be a free support option in the community forums, so there is no need to worry about that.
I Know this could be important to Improve Developers Interest someway and in fact my opinion doesn´t matter at all (I barely write english well Toungue ) but I dislike the fact that some people get Beta versions before all your software fans by Paying some quota to Support them

SMF just lost Joomla! partnership (Joomla Community runs in phpbb3 now) because its License of non-free-distribution of core files is directly related to 2.0 Beta Charter members exclusivity...
I agree as well with this idea. What is a small sum on a yearly basis for something that you enjoy and to show your support and the appreciation to the team behind this amazing software for all their hard work that they have done and continue to do. And as DennisTT said:

(2008-03-10, 07:32 AM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]The MyBB software will always remain free, and there will always be a free support option in the community forums, so there is no need to worry about that.

There is nothing to hate about this idea, if the Charter members will get the betas before or will get more attention to their forum''s problems. What is here to hate about? These people show their support to the team and the team shows the support in their turn by giving them some extra attention. What is wrong with this?
Please no! Don't section us all off. More hassle for the Support team having to answer the question twice surley?
Hate to sound "Advertisy" but hey...I didn't start this thread.

http://www.mybbcentral.com/subscribe.php

We have a subscription package there...while you can't access the official Mybb Beta there you do get all the plugins and themes exclusively at the site. Also our support has been great there. Lex is part of my team and we pretty much answer all the questions of subscribers. It's only $5 per year to signup and I donate 20% of revenue directly to Chris (project creator) every month.

In a way it's a model for what mybb MIGHT do for support one day. I would hope that if an official paid support team was started that I would be included. I find helping people to be rewarding but at the same token I do have my own expenses in life. We have seen people come and go in the mybb team and often the reason they go is school or a job.

And I don't believe paid support has to section people off. In all likelihood you wouldn't even know who paid members are here as it would be based on a ticket support system which is easier to use for that type of thing.

Quote:There is nothing to hate about this idea, if the Charter members will get the betas before or will get more attention to their forum''s problems. What is here to hate about? These people show their support to the team and the team shows the support in their turn by giving them some extra attention. What is wrong with this?

Arguments over this have been heated in the past. It boils down to fear by some that it's a pandora's box which will lead to the destruction of the software. Others see it as part of the fruits of success and inevitable as the project grows.
(2008-06-19, 06:36 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Hate to sound "Advertisy" but hey...I didn't start this thread.

http://www.mybbcentral.com/subscribe.php

We have a subscription package there...while you can't access the official Mybb Beta there you do get all the plugins and themes exclusively at the site. Also our support has been great there. Lex is part of my team and we pretty much answer all the questions of subscribers. It's only $5 per year to signup and I donate 20% of revenue directly to Chris (project creator) every month.

In a way it's a model for what mybb MIGHT do for support one day. I would hope that if an official paid support team was started that I would be included. I find helping people to be rewarding but at the same token I do have my own expenses in life. We have seen people come and go in the mybb team and often the reason they go is school or a job.

And I don't believe paid support has to section people off. In all likelihood you wouldn't even know who paid members are here as it would be based on a ticket support system which is easier to use for that type of thing.

Quote:There is nothing to hate about this idea, if the Charter members will get the betas before or will get more attention to their forum''s problems. What is here to hate about? These people show their support to the team and the team shows the support in their turn by giving them some extra attention. What is wrong with this?

Arguments over this have been heated in the past. It boils down to fear by some that it's a pandora's box which will lead to the destruction of the software. Others see it as part of the fruits of success and inevitable as the project grows.

Paid support FINE ( I had advocated it myself in the past as a way for mybb to make a few bucks ) but any other extras NO. It is the extras ( betas etc/ANYTHING that has to do with the forum script ) that lead to the slippery slope and then as well the bitching and whining about the those who paid are better then the rest blah blah blah. NO Thanks. That can stay right where it belongs which is over at IPB.

REMEMBER TOO that some DO STILL VALUE HONESTY and Integrity. Cant see how mybb going paid would be keeping with that as seing how they promised to never go paid. Unlike a few some do CARE about their honor and integirty. And NO i am not saying ANYONE here doesnt either. And sorry but NO EXCUSE would cut it either as seing how plenty have offered to help mybb via donations etc. PHPBB has done just fine via that method. So no excuses. Chris has already stated all is fine anyways.

I still think it would be cool if MYBB offered some kind of paid hosting as well. These guys know that end better then most.
Pages: 1 2