MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMF conversion borked
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I tried to convert a non-english 10k+ post board from SMF 1.1RC3 over to MyBB. While it seemed to be working fine, the resulting board was actually all messed up.

Major problems are with the messages themselves: some posts are being truncated (actually only one found but seemingly there's no rule and it's hard t to track these down), and some characters are translated in the wrong way - e.g.

- an ampersand in the subject becomes an & (it's worth noting that the same character in a board name comes out just fine)
- apostrophes in the post body are replaced by a square character.

Attachments and smilies can't be transferred over to the new board. There are issues with board permissions, and activation of the loginconvert plugin, but those can be sorted out manually.

I really feel the need of dispose of SMF and switch to a better board, but of course I'm not going to switch unless the conversion of the most important things (posts, threads and attachments) is perfect.

Is a two-step conversion as SMF->phpBB->MyBB safer than a direct one? I think I can use some advice.
If you want me to fix any of these you'll need to PM me FTP info, phpMyAdmin info and an admin account on the MyBB board