MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Installer is LOCKED? Install issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I went through the wizard, but got stuck after inputting the forum info such as forum name, email etc.. but now i get this message

MyBB Installation Wizard
ErrorError
The installer is currently locked, please remove 'lock' from the install directory to continue

I have the entire folder set to 777 permissions

Actually - now it's making me redo the install - and I am getting the recurring install welcome page and end user agreement. Why am I having so much trouble - godaddy?

well, it looks like i finished the install - but there's nothing happening - just a blank site..

and this character here:
‹

have a look: http://www.myrealestatespotlight.com/

any ideas anyone?
To me, it looks like there may be an issue with your host putting ads up...
Is there a file called lock in the install folder? If so delete it. Then try again. Also make sure that all the files were uploaded.
Yeah, I was trying to do it with Godaddy's free hosting, which doesn't appear to be working. So I upgraded the hosting, and will see if that gets me anywhere..

I don't really like godaddy, not sure why I'm even using them right now..

thanks for the feedback though

bbs!
OK so after upgrading the hosting and trying it out on another forum I want to get off the ground, that definitely was the problem. I love how godaddy tells me it should work fine with the free hosting.. blah!!

so lesson's learned:
1) I needed a linux server for Mybb to work
2) Free hosting was not a good test method

However, I do have one more issue though..
my pictures are not coming up - they show the red x as though they're missing - is this because I didn't upload the picture files in Binary? Or ASCII according to the directions? I reuploaded all pictures in Binary mode and it didn't seem to help.. I thnk I remember another thread on this site mentioning this.. I will see if I can find it again but if anyone has any suggestions let em fly

Next I will switch over the others to the new hosting.. what a pain it seems to do through their control panel.. dang.. As soon as I have something other than blank forums up and running, I will send out some links so I can get your opinions and have you some of you guys register, so feel free to do the same for me!

Mike
Quote:1) I needed a linux server for Mybb to work

Not necessarily true. Just PHP and MySQL and something to handle clients properly (IIS, Apache, etc)
syrius Wrote:2) Free hosting was not a good test method
Free hosting without ads exist if you search around Toungue
Actually IMO, free hosting isn't too bad to test things out.
If all you want to do is test things out, it's probably better if you can set up PHP/Apache/MySQL though. (if you're running Windows, look for a WAMP package)
FYI, I actually started on an ad-free free host for about three months, before moving to paid hosting Toungue

syrius Wrote:my pictures are not coming up - they show the red x as though they're missing - is this because I didn't upload the picture files in Binary? Or ASCII according to the directions? I reuploaded all pictures in Binary mode and it didn't seem to help.. I thnk I remember another thread on this site mentioning this.. I will see if I can find it again but if anyone has any suggestions let em fly
It's probably your site not linking properly to the image path. Is this an issue with a particular theme, or all images?
Hey thanks for all the heads ups. OK that's good to know about windows vs. linux, so as long as there's no reason not to use linux over windows I think we're cool. Except the pictures issue.. which I plan to address by redoing the install, this time making sure I have "automatic mode" for when transfering files in the options. Hopefully the pictures will come through this time. Thanks again.