MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: suspicious files in uploads folder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have discovered files in my uploads folder which have weird characters in them. This was on one of my forums that I didn't upgrade yet, I was still using 1.2.10.

If I try to delete the files, I get an error:

Permission denied.
Error code: 3
Error message from server: Permission denied
Request code: 13

When I visit my forum, the posts are still there, but the theme looks like the default theme. Is this a possible hack attempt, and what can be done to remove these files?
I don't know about a hack attempt.
But a possible way to delete it is to go into your cpanel and then file manager and delete it from there. (That might not work but its worth a shot!)
willstumpf Wrote:I don't know about a hack attempt.
But a possible way to delete it is to go into your cpanel and then file manager and delete it from there. (That might not work but its worth a shot!)

Tried doing it from cpanel but it still didn't work. No error message, but the files reappeared instantly after deleting them.
Hmm.. I can't help you then Sad Sorry!

I hope someone else can help!
You can always download a professional FTP Program (If you have FTP access to your server) and delete files there. I find it much faster and easier to access.
I have been using WinSCP to try and delete them, but I get the error message I mentioned above.

This is on a reseller account so I can't use a program like Putty to use the command line stuff like 'rm' to remove files. I'm still stumped....
Check with your host maybe?
They should have access to remove those files.

I think the files may have appeared by random corruption of some sorts, and there may be some errors in the filesystem or something similar.