MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Permission precedence?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everybody,

I am having kind of a problem with permissions in MyBB.
There are 2 special subforums on my forum. To control access to them, I have created 2 user groups. One can access one forum, the other can access the other forum.

To all other groups (except Admins, they have no limits), these 2 forums are not accessible in any way.

Now the problem is that access seems to be exclusive. Let me explain this way, from Admin's point of view:
When I only in the admin group, I can see both forums. Now as soon as I join one of the special groups, I can no longer see the the other forum. Note that I am still Admin, so I should be able to see it.

My conclusion from this is, that permissions are applied in a way like 'is the user in any group denying access' instead of 'is he in a group that has access'.
This makes setting forum specific permissions impossible, as they would interfere with pretty much everything...

Or am I mistaken somewhere?
regards,
Martok
When you set the special forum permissions, make sure all groups have custom forum permissions, even if you don't change the actual permission. Make sure the "Inherit/Default" checkbox is unselected.

Give that a try Smile
DennisTT Wrote:Give that a try Smile
Long question, short answer... I feared something like that Wink

Actually works but... can you explain why I need to have them non-inherited? I like to understand things Wink
Because it won't use the custom settings, instead will inherit the permissions from it's parent forum/category, that way you are forcing the special forum to use specific permissions for all groups.