MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Multiple forums lead to one
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a way to have multiple forums lead to one forum. For instance let's say you have ten forums. Each being a different category of a subject. Is there a way to make it so that one forum will show all the threads that are in all the other forums? Without actually duplicating the threads?

The reason I ask is because some people hate having to jump around from one forum to another. Especially on a small board where there aren't a lot of posts. But at the same time it's nice to keep subjects organized into separate places.

I know one board I visit does this and it's pretty nice. They have a hacked version for their phpBB. So all I have to do is look at the general forum and if there was a post made in the sound forum it will also show up in the general forum. No having to jump around. But yet if I'm just interested in sound I can just look at the sound forum.

I'm putting this is the suggestions forum here becasue I doubt this exists as some kind of default option or hack right now.
Can you please attach a picture of what you mean?
Im slightly confused as to whether you mean, forums or categories.

If you want posts made in the 'sound' category, to also show up in the 'general' category, what is the need for having a sound category then?

There is always the Forum Jump option, down the bottom of the pages.

The other thing I can think of is if you goto make a forum category, in your AdminCP you can instead put a URL, this would allow you to copy the url of the page you want it to goto, and then use that as a link.

*an example on these forums is the "Back to mybboard.com" (or whatever it says, im too lazy to check). that links back to http://www.mybboard.com, well you could have it linking to http://mywebsite.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=#
or whatever the url would be.
Netrosis Wrote:If you want posts made in the 'sound' category, to also show up in the 'general' category, what is the need for having a sound category then?

That's exactly it. The point would be for better organization while still allowing the reader to not have to jump from forum to forum. Unless they post a new topic in which case they would need to go to the appropriate forum to post that topic in.
This isn't actually possible and to do so would require large amounts of restructuring in the code, and longer processing times when querying the data for all "linked" forums to show it in the one forum..
Instead of jumping from one forum to the next, maybe you could just show the last 10 posts made (you said it was a small forum right?). If the topic isn't in there they they have to browse to that category. I guess that is sortof like having them all in the one spot, but only the recent ones are relevant.
Chris Boulton Wrote:This isn't actually possible and to do so would require large amounts of restructuring in the code, and longer processing times when querying the data for all "linked" forums to show it in the one forum..

That's too bad, I was hoping to convince the other board (that does work the way I'm talking about) to switch from phpBB to MyBB. I know the admin there didn't really know php very well, but somehow managed to hack his phpBB to do what I was talking about in no time.

But I understand the two are probably written very differently. I'm sure this is not something alot of people are looking for. Maybe there could be a work around created where it sends the latest 20 posts from all forums to a single standard php webpage.