MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Would like to switch, but....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I would like to switch from vbulletin to mybb, mainly for costs but also because we don`t need something as bloated as vbulletin or the other paid products. We rarely use most of the features, just your typical moderating, posting, uploading attachments etc.

I guess before taking the plunge:

1: Is there a working converter from vbulletin 3.6.8 to the latest mybb?
2: Is there a community gallery mod or a bridge that will hook up mybb to one of the big photo gallery scripts available (coppermine, gallery etc)?
3: Just an opinion from others, is mybb lighter on server resources that vbulletin?
4: Will mybb remain free? IPB said it would, only a few years later they are the most expensive of the forum boards available!!!

Thanks all.
1. Yes
2. There is a coppermine bridge around here somewhere as well as a couple smaller gallery plugins. Double check this but also realize it's not too difficult to make your own plugins with a little mybb familiarity and some php knowledge.
3. Yes..not just an opinion.
4. Yes forever...Chris has stated this already that mybb will not become a paid product.
^What he said xD^
Making plugins isn't very hard. I plan to start some private scripts after I finish learning (or teaching myself, rather) PHP.
Thanks guys.

My main concern is security and whether the forum is light in server resources, especially compared with the bloated big boys.

Re: Gallery, I never realised photopost is compatable with mybb to a certain degree. Quite expensive though to buy it of course!
Well, security's got to be much better than PhpBB2/3's any day, regardless. Photopost is bridgable? Wow, I didn't know either...
maritimesbob Wrote:Thanks guys.

My main concern is security and whether the forum is light in server resources, especially compared with the bloated big boys.

Re: Gallery, I never realised photopost is compatable with mybb to a certain degree. Quite expensive though to buy it of course!

Security IMHO is = to or if not better then say IPB and on par with vB.
It is probably the lightest of all systems i have ever used anyways. Very fast.

Check out the modifications section and look for the Joomla thread. Comes with a gallery option as well as video etc. What i am using. If not that then you can try MKPortal as well which too is compatable with mybb and has a gallery etc built in.

BTW are you the same guy who runs the Canadian/Maritimes weather site? Smile