MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Recommened Database size?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
At the moment i'm with Awardspace which only has a 10mb database, at the moment all my forums are working fine but theres only a few members and not to many post.

What i was wondering is how quickly will that fill up and should i be worried about that amount of space? Do i need to upgrade the size?

Thanks for reading.
My forum has 404 registered members, about 1000 threads and 10000 posts. The size of my database(uncompressed, in a sql format) is 16.9 Mb.
Right, ok then thats good to know! Maybe the initial setup takes alot up, because i only have about 10 members a couple of topics and posts and i'm already using 1.33 Mb's, so i was a bit worried that things would fill up very quick.

But if you have that much then i think i'll be right for a while.
I'm really glad I was able to help ^^
It might take a whole lot longer for you to pass the 10 Mb limit than it took for me because I also have a lot of mods who also use quite some space...
I've seen a db the size of 700MB
Really, that is what SQL was invented for is managing large databases. Otherwise everyone would still use flat-file systems. You shouldnt be to worried though the templates etc take up quite a bit of room because the theme code is installed in your DB so if you get a couple themes going size goes up quick. Posts and members on the other hand dont take up that much space. I had 1000 members 70,000 posts database was like 25 mb's so its all in the templates.
Then change em.. better be in files than db
Example:You create s super-hyper-mega cool theme.. so far so good... and its in the db...ok..Suddenly the db crashes and there you go your super-hyper-mega cool theme is gone
Thats just the way MyBB works many programmers consider it easier and faster to load templates from the DB than to load them from files. I prefer from files but thats just a personal preference. Now why would you lose the theme. You should first of all always export the theme and second of all backup your database. Its no different than getting your files wiped over an upgrade or bad admin move.
Most people dont back it up
Since im exploring mybb(still) i will find a way to change it to files Smile
You can dump templates to files. But, by default they are stored in the db. You can do it in template control.
Pages: 1 2