MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: side bars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey,
I'm wondering how to create side bars such as this. I can't do them as background image, as the sidebars are transparent and need to overlay part of the forum.

thanks much,
-Snowy
Transparent images can be set as background images. Btw, almost done with your template.
Well yes, I know that. But I need it to overlay different parts of the template. Such as thead_bg.gif and logo.gif.
I know the only tutorial on that only works in IE... It would be interesting to know, too.
BTW Wow, love your site Snowy! That's sick Big Grin.
thanks

I can kind of get this working but not really. I originally tried with just one sidebar, with no transparency. Some reason, I couldn't get the opacity to go down... so I went to plan B - I measured the amount of space between the page containers. I went into photoshop and make a document 890px wide and put two sidebars on it at each end. This time I turned down the opacity in photoshop. This seemed to work, but the sidebars appeared to be "under" everything else. So I want them to be on top of everything else. So if there's something underneath it, the transparency will allow me to see what's under it.

edit
Ok, so I tried to make my sidebars 850px, since that's the size of my homepage and the width of page container. The left sidebar does show up, but the right side doesn't. Confused image

edit edit
ok for some reason now, my right sidebar does show up. funky. But I still need to get them on top of all the other images.
:/
That's a width problem snowy. Try changing the width of the background image in the css. That should do it.
huh? What do you mean forum width problem. I'm able to see both sidebars now. I just can't get them to be on top of all the other images. Additionally, I can't seem to change anything's opacity. For example, when adding
opacity:0.6;
filter:alpha(opacity=60); /*IE Fix */
to "Alternating Table Row 1" it does not change the transparency of it. :/

edit
I figured out how to lower that opacity... by putting that code under "Tables" CSS extra tributes... but it applys the opacity change to everything... theadbg.gif, table rows, on off lock images etc. I only want the table rows to be transparent.
Well, if you want the image like that it'll have to be treated similar to a background but not exactly a background. I'm not exactly sure how to say it, but nothing would be clickable since the image is in front.
Have you tried typing in the word transparent into your code?
rcpalace Wrote:Have you tried typing in the word transparent into your code?

this doesn't seem to work.

ps..template? Shy
Pages: 1 2 3