MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: reasonable signature rules?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i thought i'd be okay without rules about crazy signatures but with some of my more recent members it looks like im going to have to set some limits.
what kind of rules do most of you have about signatures?
The only one I have is that they can't put more than 5 urls. Only one person linked to a huge pic, and I had to make it smaller for them. You can also lower the amount of characters they can type, if they are putting too much text in there.
ideally i'd just have a rule that says "signatures are great -- lets just keep them reasonable"
unfortunately, some of these people have an absurd idea of reasonable!
Yeah, I've learned the hard way that you cannot assume your members are as smart as you are. They need things spelled out for them.
Those on my forum are limited to 4 addresses -- all of which must be MyBB related, graphic related or just design related. No images, just text at no more than 5 lines at a screen resolution of 1024x786 with a font size at no more than 3.
I allow images and text. Never had any size problems or abuse problems. Mainly because my forum doesn't attract the younger group or because they don't understand the subject.
I have 2 images max with a maximum of 300x400 px (or something like that) when combined....
I just stick the signature in a DIV with a max-height CSS attribute set (IE6 users can suffer).

Other than that, I don't bother setting rules. Users at my board should know what's appropriate or not. If I get complaints, then it's easy to take action. But I've yet to have any complaints about signatures, so I guess I'm lucky Smile
I have recently changed my signature limit rule to 300 by 150 pixels which looks like this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/S...mplate.png as I don't like huge signature images and I think that size is more than enough room for a image. I allow text and hyperlinks too and I have no limit on that because most people don't have alot.
Pages: 1 2