MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: utf8 conversion error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OK, I finally decded to convert my forum to utf8 using the new ACP conversion tool. It directed me to the wiki to add the following to my config.php

/**
 * Database Encoding
 *  If you wish to set an encoding for MyBB uncomment 
 *  the line below (if it isn't already) and change
 *  the current value to the mysql charset:
 *  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/charset-mysql.html
 */

$config['db_encoding'] = 'utf8';

OK, I did that but as soon as I upload it to my inc directory, get the attached error from both the ACP and the forum.

[attachment=8915]

Has anyone else encountered this? As soon as I take that new code out of the config and upload it again, the forum loads fine.

?????
I suppose you didn't add it properly.
i think it is supossed to be "UTF-8"
OMG, I didn't do it properly??

I copied and pasted it from the wiki, and it's not like I'm unfamiliar with editing files. Does anyone else have any ideas? I'm thinking when I get home, I'll just create a new database, upload a backup and convert everything over. Maybe I can get it to utf8 that way...unless someone understands why I would get such an error by just adding that blurb to the config.php?
You need MySQL 5.1 or higher in order to use that.
Ah, I see! Well, I just finished uploading my backup into a new 4.1 MySql (from 4.0) that automatically converted it to utf8, so at least my problem has been solved. Toungue
Uploading a backup into utf-8 format won't convert it into utf-8. MySQL may see the tables, database, and columns as UTF-8 but the data within actually isn't in UTF-8 unless you use an actual conversion tool like MyBB's UTF-8 conversion tool.
Well, when I click that link in ACP now, it says that all the tables are already utf8...and I'm no longer getting the error I was getting when I tried to activate a plugin that told it to use utf8. That was the main reason I wanted to convert, so it's all good. If I can't actually convert with mybb using its tool unless I use 5.1 mysql, that won't be any time soon. My host only offers 5.0 and below. No big deal, though.
judel Wrote:Well, when I click that link in ACP now, it says that all the tables are already utf8...and I'm no longer getting the error I was getting when I tried to activate a plugin that told it to use utf8. That was the main reason I wanted to convert, so it's all good. If I can't actually convert with mybb using its tool unless I use 5.1 mysql, that won't be any time soon. My host only offers 5.0 and below. No big deal, though.

Please set your character sets back to your original character set then
Change it back? I didn't do anything but upload a backup to a newer version sql database. I wouldn't know how to set it back.
Pages: 1 2