MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [B] SMF importer hangs on broken avatar URL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When running an import from an SMF forum, I encountered a problem. At user #200, the import just hang. After a long time, it stopped with the following error:

Quote:Adding user #200... MySQL error: 2006
MySQL server has gone away
Query: SELECT * FROM smf_messages WHERE ID_MEMBER = '200' ORDER BY posterTime DESC LIMIT 1

Turns out that was not related to the problem at all, but to the attempt at retrieving the avatar size directly before this step. Removing the avatar URL from the database field solved the problem.

This should probably be caught by the importer.
This is not related to the Merge System. This is a problem with your host. You should contact them
Tikitiki Wrote:This is not related to the Merge System. This is a problem with your host. You should contact them

I'm not quite sure why the merge system failing to access an arbitrary URL that was entered by a forum user is a problem of my host, but ok.
MySQL error: 2006

That MySQL error means your MySQL server has died or has stopped the query from executing. Which is in turn a host problem.
Tikitiki Wrote:MySQL error: 2006

That MySQL error means your MySQL server has died or has stopped the query from executing. Which is in turn a host problem.

To repeat: That was a weird error for a completely different problem. The problem was that PHP was hanging when trying to access the avatar URL to determine image sizes. Removing the avatar URL from the db solved this problem.

I don't know why that error showed up, but it seems to me that it would be good to have a check in the merger about inaccessible avatar URLs at that point?
I'm sorry but it's not a problem with getting the avatar size from url's that don't exist. Your problem was caused by your Host's MySQL server. MySQL Error 2006 is unpredictable and unstoppable and they're 99% of the time temporary and they don't happen very often, and only your host can fix it. Just because you removed the avatar URL does not mean that was the problem.