MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Moving to new server.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sorry if this has been posted before but i thought i would post it to look for latest advice on topic.
Ok i have my forum running from my own server. (runs well mind you)
But decided i would host it elsewhere and get a domain specific name to it.
Look backing up database is no problem.. backing up all files no problem..
Basicly i am wanting to know if there is any thing i should look out for first.

Thanks for any advise.

DAMINK
Don't forget to change the file/folder permissions, it's an easy oversight... so much so I had to write a script to do it for me so I didn't forget anything. Wink
KuJoe Wrote:Don't forget to change the file/folder permissions, it's an easy oversight... so much so I had to write a script to do it for me so I didn't forget anything. Wink

Cheers mate. I will make a point of doing that.
Oh, and if you're adding a domain don't forget to change the cookie settings in your AdminCP (unless you have the default settings of "blank" and /).
Great point KuJoe.
I would certainly have overlooked that one.

Thanks again.

DAMINK
Ok i was a bit confident about being able to move to new server.
Internal server error......
I uploaded all files for the forum.
I chmodded all files to correct settings.
I created a database and edited the config.php file to suit.
I uploaded the database file vis phpmyadmin (first time with this tool).
I did upload the database with SQL compatibility mode of NONE (is that correct???)
Then tried but no luck. I tried a few times and still no luck.
Any ideas with this problem.
Here is the link to the forum.
Excuse the language and title etc....Toungue

Thanks

DAMINK
I don't get an "Internal Server Error" here - I get a 404 error.

Which means - are you sure you uploaded the files to the correct location?
same here....
my guess is that

a.) you pointed the domain(on the new server) to the wrong file location
b.) did not edit the domain settings properly...
Hehe naaa i pointed to the correct place but after an hour or 2 of waiting to see if anyone had any ideas i decided to play.
Since the last post i have deleted the forum a couple of times.. Installed new copies of mybb and then tried to import... so at any time the forum could be 404 or internal error etc...
But the new install of new copy of mybb works ok so im assuming it has to be some sort of database error or even a file pointing to wrong location.
Sorry about that.. but i do still get the same error when i reinstall existing copy and database. I even tried getting the config.php and settings.php from a clean install and adding them to old files but still errors... not sure. .i will keep playing until i get it right.

UPDATE

here is the link to the forum thats not working LINK
and one to another copy working.
LINK
I will leave them up for the night so ya can get the correct error.

UPDATE 2

I was able to get a new install working then imported old database and changed config and settings files and admin folder and theme folder.. now i can view threads.. but not main page or theme...

Im close...
Link again. LINK

Thanks DAMINK
I left the links up over night and no one posted a reply.
Not surprised really..
Anyway the links will prob be down as i am tryin to fix it again.

As i will prob not get any assistance until 3 weeks and by that stage i hope i will have it going myself i would just like to say good luck to myself.

DAMINK
Pages: 1 2