MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need to use a different field for username
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have created a custom profile field titled "Full Name" which has an ID of 4. I'd like to make it so that this name is displayed where ever the username is currently displayed... How do I go about doing this?

I should add that registration is closed on this forum and all accounts are added manually by the administrator.
That would require a load of changes in probably every file of MyBB. Moving this to requests
Could you explain why you want that? Do you basically just want the user to have a different login and displayed name?

If so, there are alternative ways of approaching this issue.
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:Could you explain why you want that? Do you basically just want the user to have a different login and displayed name?

If so, there are alternative ways of approaching this issue.
Yes, this is what I am looking to do.

I want the displayed name on the forum to be a person's full name. But I'd like them to be able to log in with whatever username they choose for convenience of not having to type in their full name every time they log in.

The site is a closed forum, for the employees of a medium sized business with multiple locations. I'd like their displayed name to be their full name so the employees of each location know who they are speaking to. For now I have manually edited their usertext to their full names and restricted their ability to change it. It is not an emergency or anything drastic. I recently merged the forum over from SMF, which had this ability built in. I much prefer the myBB forum software though and so do my users. However, everyone was used to seeing full names and now all of sudden we have usernames and it's quite confusing. If I manually change everyone's username to their full name it would be confusing for our employees considering there are multiple locations, people on vacation and people who simply don't work every day. The forum is used for requesting off, posting schedules among other things so I was just wondering if there was a quick fix to this issue.
You might wanna have a look at this: http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=26351

It has a few minor issues, but is it what you want?
Looks like this should do the trick. I'll give it a go. Thank you very much.