MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [split] whoa, RC3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Why should my BB be fully recoded in PHP5:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/php/2004/07/...ePHP5.html

Some awesome features. Should allow myBB to be able to heaps more Smile

k776
The only thing that really inspires me about PHP5 is the idea of SQLite. I dont think the other things (except for maybe XML too) are really necessary at this stage.
ok, but still, how would these feature help?? Faster load times?? Better intergration??

k776
Why is is that PHP5 advocates always say it will allow you to do a lot more? Sure, PHP5 is more flexible being as it has a better object model, but I doubt there are things you can do with PHP5 that are impossible in PHP4. Name me one bulletin board feature that you can't implement in PHP4 and you can in PHP5 :p
Peter Hall Wrote:Why is is that PHP5 advocates always say it will allow you to do a lot more? Sure, PHP5 is more flexible being as it has a better object model, but I doubt there are things you can do with PHP5 that are impossible in PHP4. Name me one bulletin board feature that you can't implement in PHP4 and you can in PHP5 :p
Peter, I definitely agree with you. While PHP5 does have some exciting features that allow for added effiecieny (through SQLite) and leaves less openings for bugs (through improvements such as private/final/etc. for OOP), I'm not sure advocating PHP5 so soon is that great of an idea. If MyBB were to switch to PHP5 now there would be many people left without the option of using MyBB.

k776, some people like to speak just so it isn't totally silent in the room. Do you post just so someone is posting at all times? You've turned the subject of this thread to something you don't seem to know much about.
Peter Hall Wrote:Why is is that PHP5 advocates always say it will allow you to do a lot more? Sure, PHP5 is more flexible being as it has a better object model, but I doubt there are things you can do with PHP5 that are impossible in PHP4. Name me one bulletin board feature that you can't implement in PHP4 and you can in PHP5 :p

I thinking the same. I was reading an article a couple of weeks ago, about how anything you can do "easily" in PHP5, can also be done in PHP4 with a few work arounds, etc.

Matt Light Wrote:k776, some people like to speak just so it isn't totally silent in the room. Do you post just so someone is posting at all times? You've turned the subject of this thread to something you don't seem to know much about.

Indeed, this new topic of discussion bares no relevance to the original topic of the thread.

Split.
PHP 5 will open alot of new things up to php programmers, at this time however I don't think stoping and starting over again just to make something take advanage of php 5 is worth it yet.

Soon you will start seeing what php 5 can do tho, it will certainly make things much faster, for example with php 5 I can process posts and do bbcode prasing without regex which speeds up posting processing time greatly.

There is also the new OO model which is much faster and cleaner then the one offered with php4.
Well yes, what I meant was, what can you do with PHP5 except make things faster, etc. A lot of people are saying things to the effect that there are some things that just aren't posbbile in PHP4, that PHP5 magically fixes. I don't accept that, I reckon everything that you can do with PHP5 (except things like use SQLite) on a user-noticeable level (not on a coder-noticeable level) you can also do with PHP4.

You mentioned BBcode parsing, Bruce - well, you can parse bbocde with PHP4 of course Wink I'll take your word for it that you can do it faster with PHP5, but it's beside the point a little.