MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: CAPTCHA - GD Library problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

So I've been running MyBB for a few weeks now and I had to turn off the CAPTCHA feature because it wasn't working : the image wasn't generated and it's "alt" description was printed instead. I first thought it was host-related so I asked for help on their support forum but I seemed to be the only one there having any problem with GD. Their own support forum is running phpBB 3 which uses the GD library aswell and they don't have any problem with that.

So I ran a small PHP script which is supposed to give you PHP and GD versions and statuses and it indicates GD is correctly installed:
Quote:Does PHP work?
Yes, it does. PHP Version 5.2.5

To run the WXGRAPHIC script, you need GD enabled in PHP.
Current GD status:

* GD support: yes
* GD Version: bundled (2.0.34 compatible)
* FreeType Support: yes
* FreeType Linkage: with freetype
* T1Lib Support: no
* GIF Read Support: yes
* GIF Create Support: yes
* JPG Support: yes
* PNG Support: yes
* WBMP Support: yes
* XPM Support: no
* XBM Support: yes
* JIS-mapped Japanese Font Support: no

If you don't see "Yes, it does." in large font above, then PHP is not enabled.
Now, more recently I used JpGraph to check if another script requiring GD would work and it actually does. The test-example1.php (and test-example2.php) works fine too. The image is perfectly generated.

So I have to conclude that my host is alright and something is wrong with the MyBB use of the GD library. Any idea please? I'd really like to turn that CAPTCHA feature one!
Can you post a link to your forum?
http://www.forumhodgkin.org/

but CAPTCHA's disabled right now of course... ^^
Am I really the only one experiencing problem with GD library related functions?

Do you - MyBB development team - have any script I could upload an run to try to find a solution?

Tikitiki : I'm trying to reach you when you're online but with no success yet so I'll pm you since you already helped me with another problem a few weeks ago!
Tikitiki was willing to help a few days ago but I can't reach him anymore so is there anyone with just a little bit of GD-library-related knowledge willing to help me?
Can you reupload the files in inc/captcha_fonts/ in binary format from a fresh download off the MyBB site and see if that fixes it?
Hello Tikitiki!

You already suggested me that a while ago but the files weren't from a fresh download of the MyBB package. I downloaded it again but it doesn't help either... :/

If you still have my PM with my hosting details, you can take a look yourself. I'm willing to send them to you again if you need it. You'll be in a better position to record the problem! Wink
Something is wrong with certain functions in your GD library. Ask your host to upgrade to the latest version.
This is going right back to their support forum then, just in case...