MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Just an easy question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was wondering, do you need a program to CHMOD files for linux?
I heard you could CHMOD them w/o a program.
And if I have a hosting account, do I have to make a folder for every folder in the download (when extracted)?
If you have shell access (either your host allows you telnet/SSH access, or you own the server) to your linux server, you can use the chmod command to do so.

An example:
chmod 666 <filename>
Sweet! Big Grin I just click properties, then i lets me change the permissions. Big Grin
Let's hope this works!
As most people dont have ssh access to there servers unless there hosted locally or whatever then as you did is the best method. From your ftp client you select properties and change to suit.

And based on the question i am assuming you dont have ssh or prob even know what it is or how to use it.

I have ssh access and still use my ftp program as its easier and no need to do the login crap with ssh and navigating through your system manually.

Dont get me wrong im a bit of a linux nut and dont mind starting up putty but for a simple chmod then ftp program makes short work of it.

Just my thoughts on the issue.

DAMINK
I am new to linux, and I am learning how to install programs, I am using SUSE.
And I have an FTP program (Filezilla), but if you know of any better ones, that would be nice!
Konqueror has a great FTP and SSH functions in it.
Firefox has a plugin FireFTP which is also a pretty good ftp client.
True, but to be honest the best programs are the ones built for the specific purpose (like Konqueror which was built to be an all in one ftp/web client).
DrPoodle Wrote:True, but to be honest the best programs are the ones built for the specific purpose (like Konqueror which was built to be an all in one ftp/web client).

Um in not sure what you mean DrPoodle. Firefox is a dedicated web Browser and FireFTP is a dedicated ftp client built specific for there purpose. Isnt Konqueror more like windows explorer. Not just a browser/ftp client?
I personally dont like Konqueror and find firefox a much simpler browser, and default with most linux distros i believe and FireFTP is really simple to use and great for people new to this. And i am assuming Clair is rather new to this and thats why i sudjested as such.

Just my opinions on the matter.
Atleast Clair has a bit better of an idea now hopefully.

DAMINK
Oh, and not to be an oddball, but will FireFTP let me mass upload my files to a host?
Filezilla isn't the best, either that or its my host (000webhost).
Pages: 1 2