MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Firefox addon idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I was completing a different addon and thought about creating one for MyBB. If any use Firefox, it'd be a small icon down on the statusbar (down the bottom right corner probably). Clicking it would come up with this sort of menu:

- Icon
    - About
    - Preferences
    - http://demoboard.com
        - Latest posts
            - Tim in "How do you blah blah" (in bold for unread)
            - Chuck in "Always absfiuab" (hover over for a bit more information, like time)
        - 0/X new PMs
            - Re: give me my money (bold for unread)

That's all I thought of so far, except later on allow multiple boards. Each little tab would link to the topic/post/pm. Although, to get the latest PMs you'd need to supply your user/pass so the addon could login and fetch them (unless I added a MyBB addon that created another section to get the info).

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Still in my head at the moment
That;d be really cool.. making it customizable for all mybboard forums would make it leet Big Grin
that would be a great addon! Big Grin
really cool idea!
at first that could only support one board, but for this to succeed and be much useful the addon should have an option to set it to other board.
(keep in mind that even for the default installation there are 3 possibilities:
forum.sub.example.com, exampleforum.com, example.com/sub/forum/ )

another suggestion (though not for the first release) will be an option to fetch other info from the same/other site, like e.g. mybb latest ideas/mods submission.

if you need any help with creating that addon contact me, I haven't much time to spend but I want to help as much as I can.
Well, it could be like the toolbar addon for Firefox... Where if each sie wants to use it they can create one from a script generator.
Well this is sorta what I had in mind ...

[Image: 1.png]
[Image: 2.png]
[Image: 3.png]
[Image: 4.png]

Each thing would be disabled if it wasn't in use. The "Jim's forum" etc, would be set in an options window (it'd be a friendlier name than having http://forumname.com in there).

Each link would open in a new tab, and hopefully, if I can figure it out, a little alert can pop up when something new happens (like MSN/Gtalk does with a new message)

dvb: It'd probably be possible to do multiple boards at once, but for the first few releases it'd be one so I can narrow down problems etc.

ahero4heor: It's easy enough to make it into a toolbar, it's just toolbars take up so much damn room. Also those pre-made ones you can make wouldn't be able to have to more advanced functions that some addons have (at least I dont think, as far as I can tell they're more or less a bunch of pictures and links).

second edit: Just for information, I thought maybe having this sort of addon would set mybb apart from others, and give it something extra.
Like what I'm seeing. I know a forum I'm a part of has its own add-on. Its nice but its a big forum so it only tells me when I have PMs and has button with drop down so I can just jump to categories of the forum without going through the main page.

I would love this add-on keep it upWink
No I wasn't talking about it being like a toolbar, it's just like the toolbar generators they offer... That's all I was getting at. Like my hosting package offers a free toolbar maker for IE/Firefox for your users to download.
And is it functional yet? 'Cause it certainly looks like it.
So you mean it should just be a blank-ish addon, and people can sign up and build one for their forum?

I thought about that, but then I thought just a general one would be easier. Maybe with the option of forum owners adding in skin packs and language packs etc, or automatically getting the favicon etc. Also, if I had to add security updates etc, it'd be easier to update one specific addon than 50.

It isn't functional yet, nowhere near it ;D That up there ^^ was just some XUL coding, only takes about half an hour, takes way longer to make the javascript etc.
if it'll be available to forums owner to create their own modified addon, so I and many more, as a user of multiple mybb boards will have to download and install each one and with separate icons.
... if what? Maybe im not reading that sentence right. Although you do bring up a point about it being worse to make it open, and easier on both me and the user to have only one that serves virtually all forums.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5