MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Questions about MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need a BB for a Question & Answer project on a website I help with and I was wondering if MyBB had the features we're looking for...

- the ability for people to post anonymously, but instead of it just saying anonymous, have a space where they can type out their name... basically, the ability to post without registering

- the ability for unregistered users to put in their email so that they can get notification when their thread is answered

- a feature that doesn't allow posts to be added until they are approved by the moderators

- ip banning

And I would like to know if it's ok to modify the look of the board... alot. For instance, we don't need a calendar, board statistics, members list, post counts and some of that other stuff so I would just remove it from the forum page... I would of course leave the copyright info intact. Is that ok?
lets see...

- the ability for people to post anonymously, but instead of it just saying anonymous, have a space where they can type out their name... basically, the ability to post without registering

that is possible, just enable guests to post...

- the ability for unregistered users to put in their email so that they can get notification when their thread is answered

dont think its possible for unregisterd users to do that o.O ( i could be wrong tho.. :p )

- a feature that doesn't allow posts to be added until they are approved by the moderators

that is possible, when creating a forum choose moderate new posts & threads

- ip banning

that can be done.

and you can change the look of the board and change it's themes etc..
yes it has everything except anonymous notification which non bb has it. how someone will get a notification while he aint register and if this was possible why whould anyone register anyway
elise Wrote:- the ability for people to post anonymously, but instead of it just saying anonymous, have a space where they can type out their name... basically, the ability to post without registering
Yes. You can turn guest posting on so it says Anonymous, but as far as I am aware, the option to choose your name for posting does not exist. This would have to be turned into a mod.

elise Wrote:- the ability for unregistered users to put in their email so that they can get notification when their thread is answered
No such option exists. Someone would have to make a mod for this.

elise Wrote:- a feature that doesn't allow posts to be added until they are approved by the moderators
As Mystical said, "when creating a forum choose moderate new posts & threads". I do believe though that their are multiple bugs with this feature. However, it is fully working in myBB Gold.

elise Wrote:- ip banning
Yes, this exists. You can find it in Admin CP > Board Settings > Change > Banning Options >

elise Wrote:And I would like to know if it's ok to modify the look of the board... alot. For instance, we don't need a calendar, board statistics, members list, post counts and some of that other stuff so I would just remove it from the forum page... I would of course leave the copyright info intact. Is that ok?
Although people have said that you can modfiy myBB to your specifications, they are actually incorrect. The templates and theme may be edited but the EULA styates that
Quote:You may not Reverse Engineer, Decompile, or Disassemble the MyBB SOFTWARE.
If you need to remove these pages, just remove the links from the toplink templates (Admin CP > Templates > Modify/Delete > *template set expand* > toplinks, toplinks_member, toplinks_admin
Thanks for the answers, everyone. Wink

k776 - So as long as the only things I modify are in templates, it's ok? I don't want to actually take anything off, just hide some of the links and features.

And about the using ones own name when posting as a guest and email notification, would those be hard to do? ... I guess I should ask about it in the mods forum, eh? Wink
You can remove the files if you wish without invalidating your license..