MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [request] Guest features...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was asking if the board had this in the main section, but they said it would have to be a mod so I'm posting a request here.

I'm setting up a question and answer board. I would like people to be able to post without registering, but I don't want it to say anonymous or guest or whatever. I'd like for there to be an area where they can put their name or alias, without having to register, and an email which would recieve notification when their post has been replied to.

Would it be possible to make a mod like this?
Its not good idea. if someone not registered uses any nick to post why whould they be registered anyway. Its like giving same priviledges to registered and non registered users
I think it is a good idea: it's an easy way to distinguish between various different guests.

Registering enables them to use the User CP and all of its functionality, so it's unlikely nobody would register. I always tend to register on forums instead of posting as a guest - most of the time just doing that allows me to edit/delete my own posts, whereas I wouldn't be able to do that as a guest Smile
Trouble also comes when someone posts in someone elses name unless you check for that. Or maybe it syas guest somewhere? If it's not in Gold I'd be happy to try and do it for you...
Well, since it'll be like an advice column, we don't want to make people feel like they have to register, since we want to make it rather anonymous. We already have a ton of members and know all their handles, so by letting people just add their first name and email address (email should be hidden from everyone but the mods/admins) then they can post without having to worry about people knowing who they are. The experts requested that they know either the people's first names or a personalized anonymous handle (like Lonely in LA) so it can be more personal... and they'd like the email address so the poster will know when their post is answered.

I know it sounds weird, but it fits in with the type of board this will be. Think like those advice columns in the newspapers... Wink
IPB says "Geust ~~ {username}" so if it was like that Smile
Actually, I've been testing out the current guest features and it does allow people to post with whatever name they want already, and just as long as they don't put in a password, it'll just have their name with a link to a page that says this member does not exist and it'll say unregistered under their name... So I guess we can scratch that one off the list. Wink But the email notification thing would still be cool... Wink