MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does a Text Link Ad mod exist?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there an already pre-existing mod for mybb and text link ads? I would like to display text link ads on my website along with adsense ads, however I only want them visible to guests/unregistered visitors.

I want the registered/staff usergroups to be excluded from seeing these ads. This will hopefully generate some revenue to be applied toward the hosting bill, site maintenance among other things as well while giving guests and unregistered users an incentive to register.

Does a mod for mybb that can do this for text link ads exist?

Thanks if anyone can let me know. Smile
I just made a quick plugin that places an ad in topfold for guests. Let me know if that's what you want and I can package it and upload it to mybb central.
labrocca Wrote:I just made a quick plugin that places an ad in topfold for guests. Let me know if that's what you want and I can package it and upload it to mybb central.

Where's the topfold, it probably isn't what I need since I don't know what the topfold is. Toungue

What I want to do is sign up with another service beside Google adsense, most preferably a text link service.

What a text link ad service will do is index your board and looks for various keywords in their database contained within posts, topics etc.. in your forum and then serve text links.

The best definition I could find of this is this Wikipedia quote:

Wikipedia Wrote:Contextual advertising

Many advertising networks display graphical or text-only ads that correspond to the keywords of an Internet search or to the content of the page on which the ad is shown. These ads are believed to have a greater chance of attracting a user, because they tend to share a similar context as the user's search query. For example, a search query for "flowers" might return an advertisement for a florist's website.

Another newer technique is embedding keyword hyperlinks in an article which are sponsored by an advertiser. When a user follows the link, they are sent to a sponsor's website.

Wikipedia

What I need a mod to do is only display these text link ads to Guests/Unregistered Users or anyone who is not logged in.

Preferably an option in the mod to exclude/include certain user groups from seeing the text link ads.