MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Getting error importing database
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Error: BLOB/TEXT column 'message' used in key specification without a key length

I'm getting this error importing the database on my forum. I need to transfer my site to another host and need to do it as soon as possible. Dont want to lose my forum data.. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Also along with this, I would appreciate it if someone would guide me how to upgrade without losing data?

Thanks!
surfnlearn Wrote:Also along with this, I would appreciate it if someone would guide me how to upgrade without losing data?

Thanks!

I just went through this issue moving someone this weekend. What is probably happening is that your database is larger than the amount allowed to be uploaded / restored by you on your new host.

Is it going in and restoring only to come back saying it's too big?

If so, and if your hosting company is similar to mine, you need to do this:

download a copy of the current db on the server it's hosted on now.
Save this to your hd.

Do this for all separate db's you have on the old server.

Then make sure you have a new matchin db made on the new server and follow thier instructions on restoring a db.

If the db is bigger than the alloted size you need to have your server / host do this for you.
You can do that by uploading the backed up db to the root directory of your new host, call them and they will restore the db for you.

You might want to do this when it's late at night and your board less active to make sure you don't lose anything.
You'll need to make the old host change your nameservers right away for you too.
I dont think its a size issue though but I will ask them to try and upload my database,

however just asking...

if my old username was something_me and now its somethingnew_me will that make a huge difference? I have changed config.php but still will it? same goes with database, the name of the database is same but my username on the new host has changed..

Thanks for all your help Goggalor, anyone else having an issue like the one I mentioned in the first post?
yes, make sure you set the settings in your config file to match the new one.
Make sure you name the NEW db area the SAME as the db name on the old server.

So say it's something_mybb on the old you need to make the new one trigger_mybb

The mybb part needs to be the same.

DON'T ask your server to upload your db but use the words RESTORE your db. Get your db off the old host, upload it to your offline root directory and ask them to from there.

That's about all I can offer you on this hun, I muddled through on this one myself as it was the first move I ever did and it wasn't even my own site! And I gotta give credit to my hosting company for their exemplary service and help with this!
I have written to ask them if this could be the issue but are you sure that you were getting the same error because it says nothing about the size being an issue or anything just that the column message is being used without a key length?

Thanks.
OK how are you getting this error? Where are you going to grab your db?
Are you getting this when you try to back up your db BEFORE you take it to the new host?

What kind of admin area are you using on your site? Cpanel? Vdeck?

What you need to do is not use the built in system on your mybb board admin area but back up your database on your SERVER side admin area.

NOT in the mysql php admin, but there should be someplace in the control panel for your whole site where you can back up your database.

So, you back it up from there and save it on your pc. It should save as a *name*.mysq.gz type of file and this is your db for your forums.

This is the file which is your whole db that you need to have restored.
I exported this database out of MyphpAdmin

Link

isnt this what is required to import a database at phpadmin?

I am using a cpanel/phpmyadmin on one place, and miniphpadmin at the one im installing to.

Old host:
PHP version: 5.1.6

New host:

PHP Version 5.1.6
Ok I think you're still doing it wrong. Give me a few minutes and let me get a picture tutorial I sent over to someone once for this.... Hopefully your cpanel looks the same and you can get what you need properly where I show you.

brb
OK here are the steps you take to back up your database from the cpanel.
It's really very easy!

Log into your cpanel and DO NOT go to the php myadmin area. Hopefully your home page looks like this in step 1.
[attachment=9096]

Now after you click the backup link in the above pic, it will take you here and you click the link that says your db's name where I have this arrow pointing. In this case this person has a wowbb software (sorry mybb, I tried to get her to convert!)

[attachment=9097]

Once you click the link to your db, then you will see the pop up to save or open. You want to SAVE this to your pc and THIS file is what you are going to RESTORE on your new server.

[attachment=9098]

Here is a video tutorial on some things on how to restore a db on your server. It's from my hosting site's tutorial section but I think if your mysql admin area is the same it will do just like I said to do.
Just scroll down midway to the page and look for restore your database link. There is also a link to back up your db in there if your cpanel does not have the stuff I just showed you.

LINK HERE

You need to make sure your nameservers are changed to the new host once you are all done and you are sure it's working.

Now, remember, when you RESTORE according to the instructions in the video, you will see it takes a long time to propagate the tables. If this finishes and you get a red box with an error and a link saying something to the effect it's too big and to upload bigger db's than the server allows to click it.... don't bother! It all turns to gibberish and only a super egghead can understand that!

At that point you need to upload that file you just took off the old server to your offline directory and call your host and ask them to restore your database for you.

You will then need to MAKE SURE it all works and then get your nameservers changed over to the new host as per their directions to you when you purchased hosting. You should do this as soon as possible so you don't lose any posts or new members.
If you know it's going to take time to do this, be sure to back up from the old host DAILY and OFTEN because the second they make the nameserver change, you cannot get access to that old cpanel again or the old databases.

There is a link in there where you can make a full backup of everything on your server but you probably don't need everything that's in there.

Did you move all your files over? You need to move the files over too.
You can make a full install of mybb if you want and then when you restore that db, it will overwrite everything in there and you should be good to go.
Pages: 1 2