MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Attachments?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Basically my host wont let me change my php file upload limit.
So i am trying to think of a work around so i can offer bigger attachments to members.
Is there any way i can lets say upload a zip file or whatever to my forums uploads area where the attachments normally reside and change the name and somehow get the forum to recognize it?
As only i want to have the ability to place large attachments on my forum and not other members i dont mind doing it via ftp.
I realise i could just place it anywhere and link to it but i am using the mod MyPlaza and want to charge members to download attachments.
Any help in this area would be appreciated.
Okay well your best bet would be to get people to upload there zip's and so on the anther host like a upload host and then link to it or if you ask some one to make you a plugin to make it so the upload will use a ftp method.
You obviously didn't read my post.
Its for me not for my members.
Its for my plaza to charge for the attachment/download.
Im not going to explain it again when all you have to do is read!!!SadSad
Not just a bloody rapidshare link or anything like that.
I sudjest reading my post again then see if you can answer.
I'd probably suggest having a look at changing hosts (decent ones should allow you to change the PHP upload limit), but if you don't mind manually adding the attachments, and doing this process, here's a workaround:
  1. Upload some small file as an attachment - doesn't matter what it is as you'll be deleting it
  2. Get the aid of the attachment, and look it up in phpMyAdmin (in the attachments table)
  3. Upload your large attachment via FTP to your uploads directory
  4. For the aid of the attachment, in phpMyAdmin, look at the attachname value - delete this file from the uploads folder (make sure you delete the right one!)
  5. Change the attachname value to point to your new file, that you just uploaded via FTP
  6. Change the filetype (MIME type) and filesize (size of file in bytes) values accordingly

Yes it's tedious, but there's not much else you can do, considering your host's restrictions.
Thanks ZiNgA BuRgA.
I finally got the ok from my host after threatening to leave to another host.
Now i have 500 meg upload. Hehehe will never need that much but atleast they pulled there fingers out.

Thanks heaps ZiNgA BuRgA.