MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: CHMOD, how?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, installing a mybb forum onto my server & Ive come accross a part in the instructions that I dont understand.

I know that chmod sets permissions for certain files, but Im not exactly sure how i 'CHMOD' a file. Am I chnaging the file name? Is it something in the file & I need to open it with a text editor?
Can anyone tell me?
I look forward to your replies, thanks Smile
What hosting are you on? If you are on Windows hosting, skip the CHMOD step.

If you are on Linux hosting with CPanel, you need to go to CPanel and click on the Legacy File Manager. Then navigate to the file on your website you need to CHMOD and then click on it. On the right then click "Change Permissions" and check all the checkboxes.

If you don't have CPanel try right clicking on the file you want to modify inside of your FTP program and see if that lets you CHMOD it.

BMR777
peepo Wrote:Hello, installing a mybb forum onto my server & Ive come accross a part in the instructions that I dont understand.

I know that chmod sets permissions for certain files, but Im not exactly sure how i 'CHMOD' a file. Am I chnaging the file name? Is it something in the file & I need to open it with a text editor?
Can anyone tell me?
I look forward to your replies, thanks Smile

Most people do this through a FTP client. Most of the time if you right-click the file, and click "Properties" (or similar), you will be able to change the permissions of the file. I suggest you read your FTP client documentation, or look on their site for info on how to do this, or search on Google for tutorials.

e.g. if you use SmartFTP, read this: http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/ftp/ftp_chmod.htm
Hi, thanks for replies. I managed to work that part out. But now I have reached another problem.
The instructions tell me to chmod these 2 files to 666 ./uploads
./uploads/avatars but when I do I get this error at the install page...

Please correct the errors below and try again:

The uploads directory (uploads/) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.

The avatars directory (uploads/avatars/) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.

Ive tried changing the chmod numbers & ticking boxes but I still cant get them how they need to be.
Im on a linux server, does anyone have any idea why this install is going wrong?
Chrz
Mmm Ive put them both on 777 and its worked, so why was the instrctions telling me to put them to 666?