MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: This is a WTF case
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm on a school computer and things are just messed up. All of core-testing is now done on the computers and there are some file conflicts. The new anti-virus system, Sophos, is having a conflict with a strange system called LanSchool Student. LanSchool Student is strange. It overpowered a few computers with a "You have lost your privileges" screen if you even try to access solitaire or minesweeper. The only reason why I can even tell you what's going on is cause I found a computer that the LanSchool Student has been overpowered and blocked by Sophos. Will someone please tell me WTF is going on!!
Having never used Sophos or LanSchool, I can only offer this advice... Your school needs to get their fist out of their arse and invest some money in a bloody IT technician. That is all.
Well, first you gotta get a virus that wipes everything, installs Ubuntu and then opens firefox to a "Welcome Page" and then you tell them that you found a nice virus on all the computers and it invalidated every license they've ever bought for a meant-for students computer. Smile

Lol.
I honestly don't know what to do. I like making jokes about saddening things like this, so sorry if I seem a bit too happy. Do what DrDoom said. Toungue
Well it sounds like you might have a conflict with the two programs. LanSchool probably blocks out games on the computer and Sophos sees it as a virus for blocking off use of a standard program. That would be my guess and not one I would recommend following for that matter.

Note this is only a guess as I have never used either or heard of them for that matter.

Contact both companies and see if they have any problems with being used together before.
I have no idea.
0___0
School computers should be used for educational purposes.
Trained professionals should be used to troubleshooting school computers so students are allowed to use said computers for education so they can learn to become trained professionals.
DennisTT Wrote:School computers should be used for educational purposes.
There'll always be students who do otherwise Toungue

It's interesting, cause I found school computers had much more security on them than public library computers.
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:
DennisTT Wrote:School computers should be used for educational purposes.
There'll always be students who do otherwise Toungue

It's interesting, cause I found school computers had much more security on them than public library computers.

Most schools with trained IT staff on-sight usually have really secured computers to make their lives easier... but when the computers security is in the hands of the users, they tend to lean more towards freedom and functionality rather than security... which is in place to protect the users from themselves.
Where I live, both my old high school and public library use DeepFreeze. Public library also uses Fortres 101. Personally I think DeepFreeze is the most fool-proof solution. Virtually there's no way to break through it, because after restart everything's gone (of course it doesn't prevent users from temporarily installing malicious programs, etc, so it has to be used in combination with other restriction programs)