MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: forum hosting & 1.2.12->1.4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have a forum running by mybb 1.2.12. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to switch to another webhosting company in future. Would I be able to transfer all of the posts, memers accounts, etc. to the other webhost if I would use mybb on there too. Is it really anything risky or complicated?
Also, I am planning to launch another forum using mybb. I was wondering if I should wait for mybb 1.4 and then start it or would it be possible to transfer all the data from 1.2 to 1.4 without the loss of passwords (which actually happened when I transferred my other forum from smf to mybb). What I was thinking is that I would start this new forum on mybb 1.2 and wont install any mods and upgrade to 1.4 and then I would worry about the mods and plugins.

Thanks!

- Abhishek Saini
Hi,

abhisheksaini Wrote:I have a forum running by mybb 1.2.12. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to switch to another webhosting company in future. Would I be able to transfer all of the posts, memers accounts, etc. to the other webhost if I would use mybb on there too. Is it really anything risky or complicated?
Generally moving to a new host is done by quite a number of people, and is fairly safe and not too complicated. Typically, there'll be some downtime (obviously) when moving everything. If you're also moving a domain across, that'll typically add to the downtime.

abhisheksaini Wrote:Also, I am planning to launch another forum using mybb. I was wondering if I should wait for mybb 1.4 and then start it or would it be possible to transfer all the data from 1.2 to 1.4 without the loss of passwords (which actually happened when I transferred my other forum from smf to mybb). What I was thinking is that I would start this new forum on mybb 1.2 and wont install any mods and upgrade to 1.4 and then I would worry about the mods and plugins.
Though SMF -> MyBB shouldn't cause loss of passwords (there was a bug in older versions of the Merge system which may have caused this), the reason is because different forum systems use different hashing algorithms to store passwords (there is no way to directly convert hashed contents).

Since MyBB 1.4 will still use the same authentication routine, you won't loose any passwords in the conversion.

Whether you want to start now or later is really your own choice. Whist conversion should be easy, there will probably be a few things which are difficult to convert (for example, themes and templates), so if those are very important to you, you may want to consider waiting a few weeks (that's the estimated time) for MyBB 1.4's release. The important stuff on your forums (posts, users etc) will obviously be left in tact Toungue

Hope that helps.
thanks a lot!