MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Never Installed myBB Before! I Have Some Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. Well I have only ever installed vBulletin, and phpBB 2/3. I have looked at the instructions and they seem fairly easy like others. However when I usually install forums.

I have them at domain.com/forums/. This time I want them to be domain.com. As there will be no website. Just a simple question. How would I install them like this?

Best to check before I go ahead and install. Smile

Thanks,
BlueEew.
Upload the files inside of the "Upload" folder in the MyBB package to your "public_html" or "www" folder on your website. This will have the forums at yourwebsite.com.

Also, for more installation see the Wiki here.

BMR777
Thanks for that. I should not have any problems now. Smile

Also in the install guide with the package it says:

Quote:CHMOD the following files to 666 (ie, make sure that PHP can write to them).

./inc/settings.php
./inc/config.php
./uploads
./uploads/avatars

Quote:However on this page it says:

inc/config.php 666
inc/settings.php 666
uploads/ 777
uploads/avatars/ 777

Which is correct?

Also should I do the following:

Quote: inc/languages/english/ 777
admin/backups/ 777
css/ 777
I think some systems use 666 as the max limit and others use 777. As far as I know, they are the same. Someone can correct me, if I'm wrong, but I can't use 666, since my max permission is 777. And if it's not in the instructions to change the chmod on files or folders, you don't need to do it.
Quote:inc/config.php 666
inc/settings.php 666
uploads/ 777
uploads/avatars/ 777

I have done it like this. Would this be okay?
BlueEew Wrote:
Quote:inc/config.php 666
inc/settings.php 666
uploads/ 777
uploads/avatars/ 777

I have done it like this. Would this be okay?

Everything should be at 777 when you first install I believe. You can try installing with the above permissions but if you get errors in the installer then CHMOD to 777. Then after you install set config.php and settings.php back to 666.

BMR777
I will do it at 777. Smile