MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PM subjects
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Why can't PMs have a required subject...I am so tired of getting PMs at my forums without a subject. I went into admincp and no setting to prevent this. Seems an oversight.

I might have to look at a plugin solution but I am hoping to be heard and maybe others feel the same.
Yes i think this is some thing important for mybb.
If enough people think this is needed then we can add an error message.

Emails don't force you to put in a subject either
Tikitiki Wrote:If enough people think this is needed then we can add an error message.

Emails don't force you to put in a subject either

And many mail services will place that email into spam filters.

Anyways...I found a way to do it with a plugin that is very smooth. You had a great hook in the PM datahandler that worked perfectly with basically just a couple lines. Has to be one of the smallest functions in a plugin yet:

function pm_subject()
{
	global $mybb, $pmhandler;
	if(empty($mybb->input['subject'])) {
		$pmhandler->set_error("You must enter a subject.");
	}
}

This is why the mybb plugin system is so amazing. Too many people don't understand it yet. Heck..I am still learning too.
nice Tip, thanks

I think this could be used by default too
May be better off putting this on the ideas site. Wink
Easier to see how many people like it.
Yeah, this is definitely needed. They should get an error message if they don't enter it.

I'll be sure to use your fix, Labrocca. Thanks for sharing. Big Grin
Definitely needed.
When subjects are required, you will have subjects like:

hi
pm

What's the difference between the above and "[No subject]"?
I rarely use subjects (or at least meaningful) in PMs - most of the time, my PMs are just a quick note.
Threads, of course, should have subjects, since they're being viewed by many people, unlike PMs.

I like the convenience of not being forced to enter a subject, but some others may like subjects, so it's really debateable - wouldn't say it's a requirement.
Pages: 1 2