MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Request | seo url - making it like wordpress
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello Staff members

i would like to request a mod to create links like in the wordpress

Eg
http://<removed>/hd-music-videos/720p-hd-music-videos/chris-brown-with-you-hdrip-720p-rapidshare-com-links/

But in Seo url mod

it is like

http://<removed>/forum/american-gangster-2007-t-114.html

hope someone can create it

Thanks in advance
Satz
Next version of mybb has SEO SEF URL's as an option. However I do not believe the links are like wordpress. You might be able to alter that with a plugin though..I haven't bothered to check it out yet.
i meantioned wordpress because , it has the name of the category and sub-cat.

i would like to see this option on SEO URL... will be gr8
Such a modification will be more complicated and will require extensive changes, which may or may not be possible as a standalone plugin. The problem is, that will use extra space in the database as we'll be required to create an INDEXED key to store SEOd urls. Plus, threads with the same title will no more be possible, i.e. you won't be able to create two threads with the same thread title. It will definitely take more resources too.

I'm not sure if I'll be introducing such a feature in the current SEO mod anytime soon. Though, I might add support for forum names in the URL.

So, you might see links like this in future versions: (optional, perhaps)

http://<removed>/forum/720p-hd-music-videos/american-gangster-2007-t-114.html

However, I do not believe that we do have an obvious need for the removal of -t-114.html part, although I may consider limiting it to -t-114 (removal of .html) if demanded. The main purpose here is to include the page keywords in the URL and we're achieving our purpose fairly alright. Addition of forum names in the URL will provide more keywords and perhaps higher chances of a better ranking. I'm against including categories name as they're often generic and create unnecessary and useless keywords in the URL. (consider "General Forums" -> "Music Discussion" etc.)
Quote:The problem is, that will use extra space in the database as we'll be required to create an INDEXED key to store SEOd urls.

I don't understand why DB chages are needed for this.

Basically you just grab the existing title from a thread and use that. Some mod_rewrite and you're good. Some core file changes might be neccessary but I don't see why DB changes are required.
labrocca Wrote:
Quote:The problem is, that will use extra space in the database as we'll be required to create an INDEXED key to store SEOd urls.

I don't understand why DB chages are needed for this.

Basically you just grab the existing title from a thread and use that. Some mod_rewrite and you're good. Some core file changes might be neccessary but I don't see why DB changes are required.

Sometimes the topic titles have special characters that need to be stripped away and for the sake of accuracy, it'll be required to store the SEOd title in the database. Moreover, removing all the separators and then matching against the DBs thread title key is going to be very resource expensive due to the involvement of multiple strings, even if FULLTEXT.

Example: (of the issue) - Assuming thread title is "American Gangster 2007!"
1. Request comes in as /american-gangster-2007/
2. Replace dashes with spaces and query the database to match the title. (resource intensive)
3. Multiple results may occur if there are multiple threads with same or similar titles (special characters are removed), so how to decide which one's right?

Plus, it's unnecessary to go through the hassle and waste server resources when better accuracy can be achieved by just adding a simple "-t-ID" or "t-ID.whatever" in the URL.
Quote:Sometimes the topic titles have special characters that need to be stripped away and for the sake of accuracy, it'll be required to store the SEOd title in the database.

Easy enough to preg_replace().

I would also NOT remove the t-ID...but instead just add the thread title...a compromise but one worth it for reasons you mention.

http://www.domain.com/forum/forum-name/f...dxxxx.html

Or something along those lines. I don't think the removal of the tid is as important as just the addition of the thread title.
Thanks for replies..

http://<removed>/forum/720p-hd-movies/american-gangster-2007-t-114.html

^ is just perfect. Exactly what i wanted..

because it is easy to understand just by looking at the full URL

t-114.html < doesnt bother me at all

I thought it will be this easy like below
Quote:I would also NOT remove the t-ID...but instead just add the thread title...

Quote:Sometimes the topic titles have special characters that need to be stripped away and for the sake of accuracy, it'll be required to store the SEOd title in the database.

This Should be a problem as there is already a solution in the current seo url mod(how to react for special characters)

As you know Forum Categories Are always like to be static so just by calling will do the trick ?
labrocca Wrote:I would also NOT remove the t-ID...but instead just add the thread title...a compromise but one worth it for reasons you mention.

http://www.domain.com/forum/forum-name/f...dxxxx.html

Or something along those lines. I don't think the removal of the tid is as important as just the addition of the thread title.

We're probably talking on different terms then. SEO mod already adds thread title in the URL, as for example:

<URL>/htaccess-file-is-now-allowed-on-my-host-t-83.html (thread title is ".htaccess file is now allowed on my host")

showthread.php?tid=XYZ is replaced with topic-title-here-t-XYZ.html
forumdisplay.php is replaced with forum-title-f-XYZ.html

and so on.. It's a big plugin and it also supports converting few of the special characters to their ASCII equivalents.

However, currently it doesn't add forum name in the URL, and it might be added in the future so that, for example:

showthread.php?tid=XYZ becomes /general-chat/topic-title-here-t-XYZ.html
So Can you create that Mod ? it will be so use for me on many others
Pages: 1 2