MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Hacked! (need to find the IP logs and check it with my members)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Someone must have gotten my password from somewhere and hacked my board, they did no damage that i can see, but they made a new forum. i need to find the IP logs and check it with my members, how do i do this?
Well, first off all, look at your email. If they had an unsuccesfull login just once, you'll know about it.

Secondly, check the Administrator logs in Admin CP > Statistics and Logging. Use 50 logs per page with Entries From Which Script -> forums.php
Turns out they were behind a proxy Sad
how did they hack it? was your admin pass to easy to guess ?
If you have an easy password such as Microsoft, or a name of a band, someone will guess it. I suggest having a password with a mix of 15 letters/numbers.
They also could have used a brute force script or SQL attacker to change passwords in a database.
maddog39 Wrote:They also could have used a brute force script or SQL attacker to change passwords in a database.

That is true. You need to change the password on your server, make sure it's one you haven't used also and also it should be different from the password on your forum.
how do i change my MySQL password?
1) go to you forum directory /inc/config.php look for "$config['password'] = "yourpassword";, change this to your desired password, I suggest random letters and numbers but make sure you remember, save

2) Go to cpanel then MYSQL databases go to Users is "Yourdatabase" and click delete, make sure you are deleting the user in the database and not the databse itself
[Image: sqlpage.png]

3) Scroll down and go to users delete "your_user"

4) Create new user, make sure your new user has the same name as in config.php and give that user the password you gave for config.php
[Image: Useradder.png]

5) add user to database
[Image: addusertodb.png]
Everything should be ok Smile
You stole my screenshots! :o
Pages: 1 2