MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why GPL license is cool!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
There have been threads about this in the past. Although I agree to an extent MyBB is the best and as long as it stays the best I don't care what its license is.
Jeff Wrote:Hm. Under GPL, it is still possible to commercialize the software.
Quote:The FSF argues that free software should not place restrictions on commercial use, and the GPL explicitly states that GPL works may be sold at any price.
Jeff Wrote:Hm. Under GPL, it is still possible to commercialize the software.

Basically how IPB/IPS came to be i do believe. Wink
The only gripe I'll have with the GNU/GPL software is it doesn't allow me to protect my work.
Tikitiki Wrote:The only gripe I'll have with the GNU/GPL software is it doesn't allow me to protect my work.

Yes, but you don't have to provide support to those who remove or alter the copyright, right?

Any one who would steal your work is a bastard!
(Pardon moi, just how I feel).
Jeff Wrote:
Clair Wrote:
rcpalace Wrote:According to sourceforge MyBB isn't opensource. Nor is my software. Sad We have to allow our users to be able to sell the product as-well. Sad

MyBB is EULA, not GPL, right?
An EULA is like a license. GPL is a type of license.

rcpalace Wrote:Correct. But since selling the product is prohibited, sourceforge doesn't take the software as opensource
Hm. Under GPL, it is still possible to commercialize the software.

I was talking about MyBB's EULA. Wink
Sounds like to me that GPL basically defeats the purpose of what it is intended for. If GPL is all about keeping everything open and FREE then why allow someone to come along and basically rip off your software that YOU built and allow them to sell it? It is why i have trouble with that license myself.
I mean who wants to pour all of their heart and soul into something only to have it stolen and sold? And YES there is people who will do that.Trust me i am all about sharing and helping others out as is most everyone here but again you have those who will use it for other purposes if they are allowed to.
Yes, but MyBB is EULA.
And honestly no one should steal or rip any of Chris's work.
Clair Wrote:Yes, but MyBB is EULA.
(don't forget the other developers...)
Clair Wrote:Yes, but MyBB is EULA.

And nobody can steal and use the work as their own and then charge for it with that license.

Quote:Reproduction and Distribution

You may produce re-distributable copies of MyBB as long as the following terms are met

You may not remove, alter or otherwise attempt to hide the MyBB copyright notice in any of the files within the original MyBB package.

Any additional files you add must not bare the copyright of the MyBB Group.

You agree that no support will be given to those who use the distributed modified copies.

The modified and re-distributed copies of MyBB must also be distributed with this exact license and licensed as FREE software. You may not charge for the software or distribution of the software.

Separation of Components:

The MyBB software is licensed as a single product. Components, parts or any code may not be separated from the original MyBB package for either personal use or inclusion in other applications.

Fully agree about stealing. I have had it happen to me. It sucks.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5